• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Will Apple Go Under?

M

Matt

As you may know, 10 years ago Apple owned 10% of the market, now it is approxamenty 2.5%. I think that Apple may (not will, may) go under if their Music Market (iTunes + Mucic store iPod) will be taken over by competition (especially Sony. There are many Music stores and MP3 players out there. Approxamently 30% of all Apples profits are made from the Music Store (correct me if i'm wrong). This means if their Music Market gets unexpected pressurable competition from other potential or current Music Stores, Apple's music store could create a sevre lowering in profits within a very short amount of time, ultimately pushing Apple out of this Market.

As for Macintosh Computers, well I think there is a lot of pressure building, PC's are getting cheaper, temping many Mac users to switch to the dark side, and plus Apples "Switch" campain is two years old now. As i've said in another thread, Apple neglects radio and Television advertising like the plague (well at least in Australia), and with the little evidence of advertising Apple DOES make,often it's too short and has a lack of information about their products.

So, with the above listed, the is a chance Apple won't be here in ten years or less.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Your story of Apple going under, have been reported as long as Apple has be in existence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Are you insane? Apple isn't in a lot of personal homes, but a lot of companies, designers, movie editors (hollywood for example & not to mention all over the country they film movies, even small time people know it's easier/faster/better on a Mac), Apple has insanely fast computers, new edge technology, I mean, they're the inovators(sp?).

I don't beleive iTunes is 30% of their profit, (correct me if I'M wrong).

OS X.3 is beyond it's time and so will X.4

I really don't see Apple going down anytime soon. Don't expect them to kick arse right away, because the market isn't that great right now, but I'm sure they'll sit tightly through it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Apple might not have a big market share on the whole computer market, but there are some were they have allways been leading and owning the market. When it comes to professional Video editing, Publishing, professional Printing, and especially the music industry, Apple is simply THE number one. I know some people working in those markets, they all use Macs, as there's no equally performant, stable and reliable software that might run on Windows. As a musician electronics technician, I worked in several recording studios... I never saw a PC in one of them, and I guess this will not change anytime soon. Some smaller studios even still have Ataris running!!

So don't worry, not having a big part of the market doesn't make them vanish...
There's allways been, and there will always be, this rumor of Apple going under...well, after so many years of "going under", they are still doing quite well, don't you think? ;)

OP
M

Matt

It might have been the iPod that had 30% of the profit.

You have to admit, 10% down to 2.5% isn't good. I'm sure that Apple will be around for a while, but it is a very critical time for Apple right now. So much competition, so much MP3 player competition and so many Music Store wanna be's. It all depends if Apple will adapt to the G5 soon, if OS X Tiger is a breakthrough in technology, if the iTunes store will become more available in more countries and if Apple smartens up their consumer advertising.

Yes, they are doing well in the innovation department, certainly, and are years ahead of Windows, and STILL gaining ground, but Apple focuses very little on the majority of the buisness market, which doesn't care about innovation, all they care about is getting the computers that fit their buget. As a matter of a fact, all most boring buisness's need is a low end Dell. As for viruses, their firewalls will fix that up. Apple needs to make computers with innovation, but focus more so on innovation that will be bennifical for buisness, for a very little or no amount extra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have just been reading several articles that talk about how well Apple is doing, and that they are still at 3.7% where they were at 3.2% for quite a long time, and before that they had 3.7% so they are back up where they were and there are PC users switching left and right, before the iPod and now because of it.. another article I read was saying exactly that. Wired, New York Times, etc etc.. lots of articles. The wall street journal even had an article saying how well Apple is doing financially and how their quarterly reports were awesome.. of course they can crash.. and then other articles talking about how Bill Gates could call it quits because of all the lawsuits, Apple's growing market share, Linux's growing market share, etc etc... We can try to figure out the future, but it's all speculation.. we feel like Apple has a good product so we will buy until either they begin to not have the best product (in our opinion) or they go under..

Being have been predicting the death of apple since they began business and they will continue to do so.. and as I mentioned above.. they are still predicting the death of microsoft and look at their market share.. *hehe* it's quite funny how people love predicting things :)

OP
M

Matt

What would happen to the World is Microsoft went under!!! The World would go into absolute panic, and computer companies would go broke. Apple, no doubt would be the new leader.

Don't take me wrong, I just like controversial issues and getting other peoples opinions :)

Does anyone think that Apple will go under, I don't really know to be honest.

Does anyone think Microsoft will go under??? Less believable, but still fesable?

OP
M

Matt

Murlin, do you have any links to the Microsoft Going Under articles or the Apple doing
Articles??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is one of them and if I can find the others I will post them:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2004/tc20040715_1593_tc119.htm

I usually read and then go on, since I have to stay up on technology because of my business.. so it's a matter of read, then go to the next article.. I read so many that I have a hard time remembering where I read it, but when I come across them again I will post :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's funny how depending on what you read, the market share always seems to change :) LIke the above link I gave you, they say 2.8% while an article a month ago said 3.7% and then I have read articles around 2% to 4% I wish someone would figure it out.. but then again I guess that would be a hard number to know exactly :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T

The Saab Pimp

you're not seeing the big picture. wintel based machines are more widely used, but there are dozens of companies making them. each company probably only has about 5-15% of the PC market, so each company is just as big, if not smaller than apple computer is.

basically that was just a very uninformed theory.

OP
M

Matt

I see your point, but PC companys are one big army. Apple is battling on it's own here, no Windows, a whole different platform. It's because of this independence that makes Apple so much more fragile. PC companys continue to grow, and Apple is on a rocky road, which in recent years has almost halved in market share. I really do hope, though, Apples journey will be alot smoother. Apple is a big company, but a very fragile one.

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

well now hold on. are you talking about Microsoft or the companies that make the computers? Microsoft is one big army, but Apple has much less of a chance of dissapearing than any Windows-based machine manufacturer. as for Microsoft...we'll get 'im eventually :)

OP
M

Matt

What I mean is because the manunfactures support Windows and the Windows platform, which is the most well known OS in the world they have a less chance of disapearing. This is why Apple is so fragile, all alone. :(

I hope Apple will one day be in control as much or nearly as much as Microsoft, ;), but probably will never happen :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.