Will adding RAM solve my lagging problems?

Reaction score
I'm using a 2007 A1226 MBP, with 10.6.8. (Snow leopard)

2.4 GHz

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I've reset my PRAM, and freed up 105 gigs of space on the hard drive.

According to the 'system memory' tab in the activity monitor at this moment:

Free: 8.1 mb
Wired: 212.7 mb
Active: 1.16 gb
Inactive: 640.5 md
UsedL 1.99 gb

VM size: 97 gb
Page ins: 1.57 gb
Page outs: 650.7 mb
Swap used: 1.38 gb

It's stock as far as parts go. I've gotten used to the thing slowing down over the past year or so, but it's becoming insufferable. I'm getting beach balls up the wazoo. Lagging on internet searches, streaming video is choppy and laggy even on youtube, sites take a long time to load, and I get hung up fairly often if I'm editing with audacity/adobe/garageband/etc. I don't use the computer for much intense stuff, as it won't even come close to editing HD videos... But I can't afford a new one. Basically I use this for writing/youtube/podcasts.

I will play 720p just fine if it's a downloaded file, provided I don't skip around too much.

With only firefox open it will spike my CPU to 70%. All programs/flash players are up to date and compatible with what I'm using as far as I know.

I'd like to ideally squeeze another year out of this thing. So bottom line, will adding RAM help me?

I've heard this model can handle up to 6 gigs, which would be triple what I'm working with. Any recommendations? Tips? Links?

Can I buy one 4 gig and swap out one of the 1 gigs for it? Does it need to be an even number, 2/4/6?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
According to the 'system memory' tab in the activity monitor at this moment:

VM size: 97 gb
Page ins: 1.57 gb
Page outs: 650.7 mb
Swap used: 1.38 gb

Two things:

1. Yes…adding ram will help.
2. When the swap file gets to be over 1gig…it's time to start thinking about rebooting the computer. After the reboot…swap file size will be zero.

I would do either a 4gig or 6gig ram upgrade (the 6gig is a lot more expensive).

- Crucial
- Other World Computing

Do both of these things…and it should help with lagging & beach balls.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the info.

Would there be a significant difference in performance between 4 and 6 gb? I mean at this point either would probably be a vast improvement...

But like you said, it seems to be 4 gb ~ $60 vs. 6 gb ~ $140.

Also, I noticed you linked to OWC and Crucial, which seem to be the most trusted based on my little bit of research. Should other brands be avoided if possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OWC and Crucial both know the type of memory a Mac will run on. Mac's are very picky about memory and if you don't get the right type even if the specs match, they will not work right. Both companies are excellent with returns and helping you. That is why we recommend them.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
FWIW Here are my thoughts on the amount of memory you man need:

1. If you are using the computer mainly for casual/general use such as web browsing/e-mail viewing photos etc. 4GB should be fine.
2. If you routinely perform more memory intensive tasks such as photo editing, video editing etc. or you plan to keep the machine for quite a while spring for the 6 GB.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll throw a couple more thoughts out there. $140 bucks for the 6gig ram upgrade is a lot to spend on a 2007 MacBook Pro. A 15" 2007 MacBook Pro is probably worth about $250 bucks. So as you can see…investing $140 into a computer that's worth about $250…is a pretty big chunk of its value.

Another thought. If you sold the computer for $250…and took the $140 that could/would be spent on a 6gig ram upgrade…you would have $390 towards purchasing a newer/better/faster computer.:)

For example. A couple years ago I got a really great deal on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro for $400. Now a couple years later…getting this same 13" MBP for $400 (or less) should be no problem.

So for around $400 (or less) you could upgrade to a 2011 MBP from your 2007 MBP. And the 2011 MBP would:

- Already have 4gig of ram in it (maybe 8gig if it was upgraded).
- If you wanted/needed to at a later date…it can be upgraded to 16gig of ram.
- It would be at least 2x as fast as a 2007 MBP
- Larger hard drive.
- Better graphics hardware.
- And it's capable of running OS 10.6 if you wanted to stick with 10.6.

Other than the display size…can't really go wrong!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Honestly you can use other memory manufacturers if it is your preference look at amazon for ram first they under cut crucial's prices sometimes and OWC as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really at eight years of age, it is simply showing that age. And increasing from 2GB to 6GB whilst giving a moderate increase in performance, you will still be disappointed. With the programs you are running no doubt you will be frozen quite regularly. Time to start saving those pennies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.