• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wii, 360, or PS3??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well an External HD doesn't work the same as Microsoft Internal one.

For instance you can't store games saves or any form of downloadable content on an External. But you can store Music, Pictures and Videos transferred from your PC/Mac just as long as they are in the correct format's.

OP
rpmgatech
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Oh really ... are there no ways to get around that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm sure there's no technical barrier to using an external hard drive to store games and whatnot, but looking at it from Microsoft's perspective, they don't want you to be able to do that. They would much rather have you cough up $180 for the new 120GB hard drive than let you use a much cheaper external one, because they don't make any money if you do it yourself.

Reaction score
I have the 360. Gears of War is one of the funnest games I have played ever.
I love the controller much more than playstation contollers. so...360 FTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2GB (RAM), 500GB (HD)
My favorite series that I have played are definitely Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo. I never grew that fond of Halo, FPS's don't really do it for me.

So .. I am getting tired of playing my Playstation 2 (my favorite console of the bunch) and am ready to move on to the next gen.

You have answered your own question if you ask me; the PlayStation 3 seems to be the one you should go for.

As you have clearly stated, you like the usual PlayStation games such as Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid and so forth whereas you are not fond of Halo or FPS in general - which the Xbox 360 delivers in spades - so the PS3 seems like the logical choice just by reading your opening paragraph.

Right now, the Xbox 360 is the best console to own but considering it has a whole year’s head start - it was always going to deliver great games over the year it has had.

The PS3 is expensive but the online gaming is free, the hard-drive (60GB) will be a benefit for every game as the Xbox 360 Core doesn't come with one as well as being ten times more problem free than the noisy (sometimes unbearably so) and crash/freeze inducing Xbox 360.

To sum it up, it sounds like you want the PS3 judging by the sort of games YOU like.

OP
rpmgatech
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks Leonard. I think you are right. With only a $120 difference between an elite and the better PS3, the PS3 will definitely be worth the price considering it has blue ray, wireless connectivity out of the box, and I won't have to pay for online play. Not to mention, it will have the games that I want. I think I am going to set up a savings to start saving up for a PS3. Thanks all ... and I am still open to advice and comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the only thing I would pick up on his the Playstation Online being Free, there is some Con's to that.

-No In Game Messaging, eg. So if you receive a Message you have to leave the Game

-Publisher Servers, like EA has done with it's servers they often cut off support or limit it, especially for franchise titles once the Sequel is released.

-Friends List not centralised so for some games you have to add the same Friends on separate Friends list for Each Game.

Obviously there is other stuff but they are the three main gripes I have with Playstation Online. If the games you like are on the Playstation 3 are more appealing but I wouldn't bring in the issue of Playstation Online being Free as to be honest it's a sub-standard service which I'm sure most will agree.

Reaction score
Now, I don't people to get the wrong idea about me and think I am a fanboy. I do plan on purchasing a PS3 sometime in the future when the good games are finally released and possibly a price drop (but that won't deter me once MGS4 and FFXIII are released).

When do you plan on buying the console? The reason I ask is that there are about 3 or 4 games I think you may like for the PS3 (possibly 5 or 6 with the PSN game downloads). As I said before I am trying to prevent you from buying a console that you will play once every 2 to 3 months because the lack of good games. I know from first hand experience, c'mon Nintendo and release the ecstasy you call first party titles.

As for the larger HDD, there is a workaround that allows you to purchase an external HDD and trick the 360 into thinking it's an official MS HDD. But you are limited to the size 120gb so don't think you could use 300gb drive. Link

In conclusion, as many people have already said, the console you want to buy is the one that has the games you wanna play. I am sure that in whatever purchase you make you will be happy. I am still happy I own a Wii, but it currently is second to my 360. At least until Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and SSB-Brawl come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
I currently own a Wii60 (wii and 360) and both are great. The Wii though as it currently stands is more of a party system, great to play with a group of friends but not too many solo games out besides zelda and paper mario. The 360 is great. Probably play it most out of my consoles but since it has had over a year to establish itself it has more titles available. Once the PS3 price drops and the big games get released I may eventually pick up one of them.

OP
rpmgatech
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Smokingfetus ... you are making this so hard for me to decide now. That is a pretty good point you bring up. I may wait til the PS3 games actually come out and just buy a Wii/360 right now. Plus, who knows when the games I want will actually come out on PS3... until them I guess I am going to go with a 360 especially because you said you can trick it for that external HD. That makes buying the mid-range 360 an option for me now because it drops the overal cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Some of the games that are "going" to be PS3 exclusives (I say "going" because alot of their exclusives have already become multiplatform) have an equivalent game on the 360. Such as PGR or Forza inplace of GT5.

OP
rpmgatech
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that leaves Metal Gear Solid 4 as the only game that I care about that is exclusive. I also like Ratchet and Clank, but that isn't as important to me as Metal Gear Solid 4.

I am hoping they port it over to XBox 360 like they did with Metal Gear Solid 2 on xbox. But supposedly not enough people bought MGS2 on Xbox so they decided to make MGS3 exlusive for PS2. Hopefully Kojima reevaluates his allegiance to Sony.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
I personaly own all three systems. Here are my opinions:

PS3; never gets played.

Wii; fun for a group of people, games are fun and light. Nothing really intense (unless you make it intense, like wii boxing). Zelda is a favorite of mine. The great thing is that no game requires a huge dedication. You dont have to master anything to have fun with it. There are a few cool games coming out, the next super smash brothers will be good. As with the metroid pime game.

xbox 360; the 'intense' system. Xbox live is great and really fun. Best for FPS and the like. Has the most games out now. Has many more lined up. Great sports games, and much cheaper than the PS3. There are still some issues with the 360. Fortunately, i have not had any problems with mine, but others have over heating and disk drive failures.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
OK so now I'm the proud(ish) owner of a brand spanking new Wii (+4 games and a second controller thingy).

I'm impressed by some things and unimpressed by others.

i.e, the controllers are great but not superb, the buttons just seem to be in awkward places for my hands and using two separate controllers to play some games is just weird (i.e in Meet the Robinsons or Zelda).

The really cute interface just seems really childish compared to the no-nonsense PS3 interface.

Graphically the Wii is nothing spectacular, the PS3 is phenominal graphics wise so I wasn't expecting miracles from the underpowered hardware on the Wii but still it is uninspiring. On the PS3 the physics engine (most likely Cell powered) is amazing, water IS water, weather effects are the equal of the most powerful of PC engines and it is easy when playing the PS3 titles to become lost in the game.

The Wii otoh is far less able in this regard and you are always aware of the comic strip style of graphics and unrealistic physics.

For those of you with a powerful PC and Half-Life 2 you will be aware of the realism of the physics engine in that game, the PS3 surpasses that easily (which given the hardware is not surprising) although not on all titles but the Wii is more of a GameCube on steroids than a real contender in this regard.

I don't have an Xbox 360 so I can only go by what I see in the stores, PC World have replaced all their Xbox 360 powered demo rigs for the high end TVs with PS3s because the graphics capablity is higher, i.e full 1080p display output with no delays or jerkiness easily looks better than the 720i of the Xbox 360 on the better TVs (like my 1080p Sharp model). The bigger HD and more RAM of the PS3 here in the UK (they are only selling the high end model) also helps in this regard as more of the games is cached giving smoother gameplay.

Personally the only gripe I have with the PS3 is with the wireless controllers, they are too light and don't feel as responsive as the old PS2 wired ones, in fact we have bought a couple of USB to PS2 adaptors purely to use the older controllers with the PS3 for some games (two player fighter and driving games in particular).

Where the Wii really comes into its own is in mult-player games, they are missing from the PS3 catalogue even though the hardware is there, on the Wii multi-player Bowling or Baseball or Golf is great and although you need to move all the furniture around to avoid accidental injuries is also fun.

I would recommend a PS3 to someone who is likely to want to play immersive single player games (like Oblivion or Fall of Man) and the Wii to someone who is more into family/party play with a large living room (and no breakables in arm-swing range).

Now please excuse me whilst I try to beat my world record time for the Greek Rally on my X1950 Gfx, 4800x2 AMD PC + Logitech G25. Now that's a gaming rig! ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
1) On the PS3 the physics engine (most likely Cell powered) is amazing, water IS water, weather effects are the equal of the most powerful of PC engines and it is easy when playing the PS3 titles to become lost in the game.

2) For those of you with a powerful PC and Half-Life 2 you will be aware of the realism of the physics engine in that game, the PS3 surpasses that easily (which given the hardware is not surprising) although not on all titles but the Wii is more of a GameCube on steroids than a real contender in this regard.

3) I don't have an Xbox 360 so I can only go by what I see in the stores, PC World have replaced all their Xbox 360 powered demo rigs for the high end TVs with PS3s because the graphics capablity is higher, i.e full 1080p display output with no delays or jerkiness easily looks better than the 720i of the Xbox 360 on the better TVs (like my 1080p Sharp model).

4) The bigger HD and more RAM of the PS3 here in the UK (they are only selling the high end model) also helps in this regard as more of the games is cached giving smoother gameplay.

5) I would recommend a PS3 to someone who is likely to want to play immersive single player games (like Oblivion or Fall of Man) and the Wii to someone who is more into family/party play with a large living room (and no breakables in arm-swing range).

6) Now please excuse me whilst I try to beat my world record time for the Greek Rally on my X1950 Gfx, 4800x2 AMD PC + Logitech G25. Now that's a gaming rig! ;)

Amen-Moses

1) The 360 has amazing water effects to. Example And correct me if I'm wrong, but that game is a 360 exclusive.

2) There is absolutely no proof to this comment. When Half Life-Orange is released we'll have an actual comparison across all three platforms.

3) The 360 can output 1080p and that feature is touted for Halo 3. And as far as jerkiness when displaying that resolution has more to do with coding than the actual hardware. The video cards in both systems are pretty close to the same in power. Not to mention the 360 was the first system to get an actual game running at 1080p (Virtua Tennis 3). There is no such thing as 720i, only 720p, but I will assume this as a typo.

4) The 360 actually has a larger HDD now with the release of the Elite. Also the 360 has more ram than the PS3. Heck even the Wii has more ram. The proof and note that it is the 60gb model they show in the article.

5) Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Galaxy anyone

6) No, this is a gaming rig

Sorry if this post sounds condescending as that was not the intent. But was a lil irked by the lil bit of incorrect info (and I had one to many glasses of Brandy)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) The 360 has amazing water effects to. Example And correct me if I'm wrong, but that game is a 360 exclusive.

2) There is absolutely no proof to this comment. When Half Life-Orange is released we'll have an actual comparison across all three platforms.

3) The 360 can output 1080p and that feature is touted for Halo 3. And as far as jerkiness when displaying that resolution has more to do with coding than the actual hardware. The video cards in both systems are pretty close to the same in power. Not to mention the 360 was the first system to get an actual game running at 1080p (Virtua Tennis 3). There is no such thing as 720i, only 720p, but I will assume this as a typo.

4) The 360 actually has a larger HDD now with the release of the Elite. Also the 360 has more ram than the PS3. Heck even the Wii has more ram. The proof and note that it is the 60gb model they show in the article.

5) Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Galaxy anyone

6) No, this is a gaming rig

Sorry if this post sounds condescending as that was not the intent. But was a lil irked by the lil bit of incorrect info (and I had one to many glasses of Brandy)

Well to be fair I was comparing the PS3 to the Wii as I don't have a 360 yet but one thing I've noted in other forums is that all the people who've been telling me for years that NVidia Gfx cards are far superior to ATI (I almost always choose ATI for my rigs) are now telling me the 360 Gfx are better than the PS3! Seeing them side by side in ToysRUs quickly dispels that myth.

6) Yep that looks like my rig except I have one 1080p display rather than 3 720p ones and I have 3 pedals and full manual gearstick.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is that people are arguing about stuff that don't understand or simply can't honestly compare at this point.

I have numerous comparisons between PS3 and Xbox 360 Games (Multi-Format) and they all come out looking good in there certain areas.

The problem is neither console has excelled at this particular point in time, alot of PS3 Launch Titles for instance where in 720p even though Sony was "bigging up" the 1080p element.

But in all honesty anyone who has a HDTV now, is that its going to be 720p as this whole 1080p argument has only got off the ground basically since the HD Formats started to take pace.

In the end Graphics mean nothing, they will surprise you for the first 10 Minutes but after that it's all about Gameplay. So pick the Console that you will get the most use out of.

So here's my pointers

-Pick the Console with the Most Games, that YOU enjoy
-Added Features are Great, But ask yourself Do you need and will you use them?
-1080p or 720p doesn't mean nothing if you are playing on 10 Year Old 14" Inch TV in your Basement?

They are probably the most important questions, not who's has the best frame rate or resolution. Gaming is about more than Graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are probably the most important questions, not who's has the best frame rate or resolution. Gaming is about more than Graphics.

True to an extent but compare Zelda with Oblivion, I played Zelda for about 10 minutes before I got fed up with the jerky cartoony graphics and pauses every 10 seconds whilst the next bit loaded. Oblivion suffers from none of that and considering that the screen is about 4 times the resolution and the game physics are more natural it gives a far better immersive feel. I have a friend who has completed Zelda on the Wii several times and goes back for more so this obviously doesn't bother some people but I find it unplayable.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True to an extent but compare Zelda with Oblivion, I played Zelda for about 10 minutes before I got fed up with the jerky cartoony graphics and pauses every 10 seconds whilst the next bit loaded.

Yea but that's not Graphics, that the style of game and bad coding for the system.

Graphics help to the experience, very much like sound will aswell. However if the Gameplay is crap there is no amount of Graphics in the World going to make you play it for days on end.

The reason I suspect you played Oblivion was more than the lush forests, it might also be worth pointing out that Oblivion wasn't with out its problems on the jittery screen and annoying loading front.

However from any system you select, you're expecting a good combination of Online, Graphics, Gameplay and the Plot line. But the problem is when people get hung up on graphics, they will never make a crap game..good! I suppose that's the my point but I can see what your saying though.

Reaction score
I would like to apologize to Amen-moses. I read my post from last night and feel there was quite the negative tone about. One should not PUI (Post Under the Influence). I saw 360 in your post and assumed that it was part of your point. Also I was not trying to rag on your gaming rig if it seemed that way. Your rig is something that I am sure is quite marvelous.

Started this post earlier in the day and was going to add more after the Mayweather/De La Hoya fight. But once again I have succumbed to the liquor and you know what happens after that. And with that I will end this post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.