WiFi headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Do WiFi headphones exist? If not, are there bluetooth ones with a good range.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since the audio output jack on my iMac has died and repair, according to MAC, is very expensive. I have navigated all over the web and have concluded a) that purely wifi headphones don't exist, only bluetooth.
Are there any headphones, wifi or bluetooth whatever as sensitive as my Bose speaker, that is, that can receive music and voice from my iMac a floor above or a floor below the modem and iMac. Some catalogues suggest 10 straight-line meters wifi from source to headphones is all anyone can hope for, and I've had bad luck trying to use a bluetooth audio adapter hooked up to a traditional audio device (speaker or headphones with wire).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some catalogues suggest 10 straight-line meters wifi from source to headphones is all anyone can hope for, and I've had bad luck trying to use a bluetooth audio adapter hooked up to a traditional audio device (speaker or headphones with wire).

That's about right. Line of sight using bluetooth is around 30 feet or so although it depends on the device. But you're asking about going thru floors in a home or office which could shorten the effective range depending on the composition of the flooring or walls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Since the audio output jack on my iMac has died and repair, according to MAC, is very expensive. I have navigated all over the web and have concluded a) that purely wifi headphones don't exist, only bluetooth.
Are there any headphones, wifi or bluetooth whatever as sensitive as my Bose speaker, that is, that can receive music and voice from my iMac a floor above or a floor below the modem and iMac. Some catalogues suggest 10 straight-line meters wifi from source to headphones is all anyone can hope for, and I've had bad luck trying to use a bluetooth audio adapter hooked up to a traditional audio device (speaker or headphones with wire).

Sorry about your iMac's audio output issue - but out of curiosity, what price was quoted to fix the jack? Also, have you tried a can of compressed air in the jack opening (gently of course)?

Since Wi-Fi is a networking standard (802.11...) working on the 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz RF spectrum band, I don't believe that a set of wireless headphones can use its specifications.

The Bluetooth (BT) to audio jack adapter would seen like a simple solution, but as stated you have not had good experience w/ that option - Amazon HERE has a lot of offerings but the ratings are so variable - I guess that 'trial & error' might be needed to find one that works well for you?

For myself, I have 2 wireless headphones: 1) Rocketfish BT - work well but the wireless range is about 30 ft as you have noted; again you likely would have to buy a set and test in your area; and 2) Sennheiser RS160 which I have plugged into my audio receiver's headphone jack - uses the 2.4 GHz band and work well; but of course you would need the BT-audio jack adapter for your iMac.

Hopefully, others will 'chime in' w/ different solutions - Dave :)

41nsC9Y2eNL.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.57.04 AM.png

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac quoted no specific price for repairing the audio jack but suggested that repairing it would involve changing the whole card (on an iMac vintage 2007). Your idea about compressed air, used with your caveat in mind, raises hopes, and I'll try to find some, before surrendering. Alas, the bluetooth audio adaptor I got gives some distortion, so it wouldn't help in conveying Maria Callas up to the terrace.
Many thanks, also for explaining why headphones don't use the wifi option (although the Bose speaker does??).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Mac quoted no specific price for repairing the audio jack but suggested that repairing it would involve changing the whole card (on an iMac vintage 2007). Your idea about compressed air, used with your caveat in mind, raises hopes, and I'll try to find some, before surrendering. Alas, the bluetooth audio adaptor I got gives some distortion, so it wouldn't help in conveying Maria Callas up to the terrace.
Many thanks, also for explaining why headphones don't use the wifi option (although the Bose speaker does??).

Hi again - sure, audio can certainly be streamed over a Wi-Fi network - Apple's AirPlay is an example, Wi-Fi enabled speakers (as you own), or Apple TV or a Roku device (I have the latter and listen to Pandora on my TV's sound bar all of the time).

Just not sure that there are headphones w/ this technology (at least at the moment)? Appears that you've probably googled until your fingertips were raw, so I'll not do the same ;) - Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.