WiFi Drops / Cannot screen mirror to Apple TV

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Since Apple doesn’t have a solution for me, hoping someone out there has found a solution to my problem. You would be my savior.

Since the day I bought this iPad Pro 1st gen, I have had issues with the WiFi dropping/disconnecting and also cannot connect to my Apple TV. The WiFi drops anytime I try to share a document (WiFi reconnects after I get out of the share menu). The WiFi also drops anytime I try to screen mirror to my Apple TV. It will not let me connect to my Apple TV , it finds it and then loses connection, but it never successfully connects to my Apple TV. I am running the latest software (currently 13.6) and there has been several updates since I bought the iPad and still no fix on this issue. I still have the 1 year manufacturer warranty and tech support has denied to replace my ipad stating that a software update will EVENTUALLY fix your problem. Lousy solution... So basically until then, I cannot use my Apple TV or share docs until who knows when..

this only happens to this device and I have numerous Apple devices. I have tried who knows how many trouble shooting steps.

I have tried tried restoring through iTunes and still having issues. Tried starting as new iPad and not restoring my previous backups and still same issue. Rebooted modem/router and same issue. Tried using other network and also switched between my 2.4ghz and 5ghz and same issue ?

hope someone out there can help me out with a fix! Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You didn't say where you live, but if there is an Apple store near you and if it is open, make an appointment with the Genius Bar, take the iPad to the store, get them to test it for themselves. If it has a hardware issue, you want to get it repaired/replaced under AppleCare before it expires.

OP
J
Reaction score
You didn't say where you live, but if there is an Apple store near you and if it is open, make an appointment with the Genius Bar, take the iPad to the store, get them to test it for themselves. If it has a hardware issue, you want to get it repaired/replaced under AppleCare before it expires.
Appreciate the reply! All Apple stores are closed here in AZ. I do plan on taking it in once they reopen though. In the meantime, trying to see if maybe there is a workaround.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would initiate a support call with Apple at support.apple.com and get on record that you have a hardware problem before AppleCare ends. You don't know when the stores will reopen and they will be jammed with people who have been waiting when they do. Go to Apple.com, click on the Support option at the top bar. Follow the links to iPad, then at the bottom is a "how can we help" area where you can hone in on the problem and eventually get to a contact page where the contact options will be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If it is an iPad Pro 1st gen, then it is a 2015 model year.

Are you sure the WI-Fi drops? Are you sure it's not just searching for a device to share with? How much time have you let it search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have the 11" iPad Pro - 2nd Gen and I do not have the issues you are having. I connect mine to my TV and my MacBook Pro through sidecar with no problems what so ever. That is not normal and I do believe it is hardware.

I agree with what Jake (MacInWin) is telling you - call apple and get it on record. I have also found if I call and the person is not understanding, I call back and eventually I can get someone to fix my issue either through mail in repair or getting a new one - not refurbished either. I was once told by a friend that the wheel that squeaks gets the grease! Be nice but firm.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can it be a 2015 model with a one year manufacturer's warrantee still?

Just asking - a bit confused.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can it be a 2015 model with a one year manufacturer's warrantee still?

Just asking - a bit confused.

Lisa
Well, if Apple sold them last year as refurbs, it could. I don't think they are talking about AppleCare though. Just from where they bought it from.

OP
J
Reaction score
If it is an iPad Pro 1st gen, then it is a 2015 model year.

Are you sure the WI-Fi drops? Are you sure it's not just searching for a device to share with? How much time have you let it search?
It’s the 11 inch released in Oct 2018. Yeah WiFi drops for several secs. if I get out of the share screen and try to refresh my browser , it loses connection to page until it reconnects to WiFi seconds later. It’s really annoying. I stay on the “share menu” for several secs, during that time it reconnects for a split second and then drops the wifi again.
my major concern is not being able to airplay.
Apple iPad Pro - 11 inch (1st Generation)

OP
J
Reaction score
I would initiate a support call with Apple at support.apple.com and get on record that you have a hardware problem before AppleCare ends. You don't know when the stores will reopen and they will be jammed with people who have been waiting when they do. Go to Apple.com, click on the Support option at the top bar. Follow the links to iPad, then at the bottom is a "how can we help" area where you can hone in on the problem and eventually get to a contact page where the contact options will be there.
Thank you Jake. Glad I’m on the right path then. I did call several weeks back and even sent it in and they couldn’t “duplicate the issue“. so they sent it back to me and did more troubleshooting and sent them some logs .. their last message was wait for a software update , that it wasn’t hardware related. I don’t agree.. but, like you said, I at least got it on record. I will definitely call back when the next update is released if stores aren’t open by then. ill keep persisting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is my exact model! If it is a software issue why do I not have it? It's hardware! (She says smiling!! :cool: ) I do have cellular on mine and use it but WiFi has always worked perfectly.

And I am betting they could not duplicate it because they did not do what you are attempting to do. My only other thought is have you tried it on other routers/WiFi access to see if it could be an incompatibility issue with your home router. Just snatching at straws here.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
That is my exact model! If it is a software issue why do I not have it? It's hardware! (She says smiling!! :cool: ) I do have cellular on mine and use it but WiFi has always worked perfectly.

And I am betting they could not duplicate it because they did not do what you are attempting to do. My only other thought is have you tried it on other routers/WiFi access to see if it could be an incompatibility issue with your home router. Just snatching at straws here.

Lisa
And that is EXACTLY what I told the lady that has been helping me at Apple for the last couple weeks lol, just doesn’t make sense.... she’s been very nice but I just want a working iPad ?

lol! Honestly, I thought the same thing when I received my iPad back. Very general message on the paper that came with my iPad. When I called the lady at Apple that was working my case she couldn’t exactly tell me what they did. ??‍♂️ I even sent them a video of me demonstrating the issue.

mine is WiFi only but don’t see that being an issue.

yeah I even switched internet providers and home router (not because of all this) and still had the same issue .

thank you for your replies!

Reaction score
Have you tried updating router firmware? Also, you can try disabling QoS service on the router if it is available.

OP
J
Reaction score
Have you tried updating router firmware? Also, you can try disabling QoS service on the router if it is available.
It appears my modem router has the most up to date firmware. I don’t have the QoS option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.