• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

.widgets.

E

.emo.

.have widgets been along for a while.or did konfabulator make the idea and apple stole it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not sure if there have been widgits before Konfabulator, but I know Konfabulator has been doing it for a LONG time now and actually.. no Im pretty sure that Konfabulator was the first.. Apple definitely stole this idea :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yep the whole debate Right back at the Xerox GUI and wow this is getting to the debate level

OP
E

.emo.

witeshark said:
Yep the whole debate Right back at the Xerox GUI and wow this is getting to the debate level

well now apple to microsofts posistion....but if konfab was teh first then they are patentedcorrect?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hehe, look at the Tiger First Impressions thread...

OP
H

hollerz1

Apple did definatly steal the idea, but seriously, if ideas were never stolen, we'd have one crap version of everything, because there'd be no competition, hence no motivation to make a better product. If Konfabulator can't take the thought of someone else taking their idea, business is not the right game for them.

How many video editing software packages are there? Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, Avid Xpress, iMovie, etc. etc. One of these companies must of got the idea for a video editing package from another company. Why aren't you complaining to them?

As far as I can see, the only similarity between Konfabulator and Dashboard is the idea of "mini-applications". How the programs work are actually very different (http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator), so now Konfabulator has some competition, and motivation to create an even better product. So why are we, the customers, complaining, when 2 companies are now fighting to make the best product for us?

OP
E

.emo.

hollerz1 said:
Apple did definatly steal the idea, but seriously, if ideas were never stolen, we'd have one crap version of everything, because there'd be no competition, hence no motivation to make a better product. If Konfabulator can't take the thought of someone else taking their idea, business is not the right game for them.

How many video editing software packages are there? Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, Avid Xpress, iMovie, etc. etc. One of these companies must of got the idea for a video editing package from another company. Why aren't you complaining to them?

As far as I can see, the only similarity between Konfabulator and Dashboard is the idea of "mini-applications". How the programs work are actually very different (http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator), so now Konfabulator has some competition, and motivation to create an even better product. So why are we, the customers, complaining, when 2 companies are now fighting to make the best product for us?

wow chill buddy...all i was saying is that i wanted to know if konfab invented the widget...

OP
F

flonejek

.emo. said:
wow chill buddy...all i was saying is that i wanted to know if konfab invented the widget...

the widget was first implemented on mac os 6.0, there's some history page where I read that, I think its a link of daringfireballs site. The widget idea was around long before konfabulator though, and widgets have been implemented also in linux (see superkaramba, gdesklets, gkrellm). The widget was never stolen, intellectual property can't be stolen (unless you copy it then destroy the original), only enhanced.

Edit: I started ranting here, don't read below if you don't want to hear my thoughts on copyrights and patents...

Enhancing ideas is what got us this far anyway, the whole desktop idea was stolen from the guy who invented the desk, same with every other new idea out there. Nearly all of our idea's come from nature and previously created intellectual property, so in my opinion copyrights and patents are just a bullshit method of preventing others enhancing 'global' ideas (wow this is turning into a rant, sorry). I think patents are alright for helping new inventors get some cash, but they should be limited to 10 years, after which idea becomes public property, with no extensions. Software patents should only last 3 years as software is far easier to produce than actual physical goods, so profits should roll in sooner. This way the world would innovate more, and we'd have less monopolies, especially if patents were free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.