why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
why is itunes such a piece of crap software program..???? If only winamp made a production copy for mac, at least songbird will be out soon.. does anyone know how to stop itunes from multiply copies of every song i insert into it ???? and how to delete the ones already there aside from deleting them one at a time??

-thanks

"..itunes the only thing i hate about Mac"

--planet earth

Reaction score
why is itunes such a piece of crap software program..???? If only winamp made a production copy for mac, at least songbird will be out soon.. does anyone know how to stop itunes from multiply copies of every song i insert into it ???? and how to delete the ones already there aside from deleting them one at a time??

-thanks

"..itunes the only thing i hate about Mac"

--planet earth

It's all in the Preferences. Check out the attached images.

iTunes might appear to be "a piece of crap" BUT it does give you the option for full control over your music library, including any music discs you insert into your Macs drive.

I allow iTunes to manage my music and to add a copy of any song/s I play using iTunes, to the iTunes Music Folder. I also have set the prefs so that if I insert a music disc into my iMacs drive, iTunes will take over BUT must ask me if I'd like the songs imported .... that's the best way for me at the present.

Picture 2.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pulse-8 your attachment is not showing up. He is another of that same screen.

Edit, Opps, guess it was still uploading! Oh well, now he has 3 pics! :D

Picture 1.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how about just having a simple feature that removes the duplicates altogether, and itunes likes to make significant duplicates of files, like 10 and 11 copies of a song !!! that is saddd.... i don't like cog very much, but i appreciate the help.. looks like i will be waiting for songbird.. thanks for the comments and aid

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are Applescripts that will do what you want. They are free, easy to install and easy to use. I have over 84,000 tracks in iTunes and it doesn't make any duplicates of anything unless I tell it to, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Perhaps you simply need to learn how to use the software as designed, it's not very hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
how to delete the ones already there aside from deleting them one at a time??
I can't help with how to keep iTunes from duplicating, but I dispensed with all the dupes by:
~ showing duplicates (under 'view')
~ clicking inside list window, then Command A (to select all)
~ Command delete (chose 'send to trash')

Voila! All gone. :)

Edit: okay, don't do this ~ it deletes both original and duplicate ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Coming from the Windows world, I really miss WinAmp and MediaMonkey. I hate iTunes less now than when I first switched (which was only a couple weeks back), but give me WinAmp any day.

I tried Cog, ok player but no music library functionality. I tried SongBird, which I just detest from a usability perspective, ignoring the constant crashes.

I've tried a couple others, whose names escape me now, none very good.
I hate to say it but iTunes seems to be the best of the bunch in the Mac world.

I'm a happy switcher, I love my iMac, but not everything is bad in the Windows world and I miss some really good programs.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey baggs if the software worked so well why must i download extra software to utilize the program the way i want, winamp doesn't need that !!! The software is incomplete and sloppy... i know how to use the program but does apple care enough to simply make an upgraded version that will solve the problem?? that is the real question...

-later

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What problems? Making a copy of the music? You turn it off. You add nothing.

I am starting to think maybe you should have stayed with a Windows machine as it is what seems to make you happy.

Sorry but that is how it seems. I do not like WinAmp by the way. Used to LOVE IT till they got bought out and made it so fat and full of spyware.

Reaction score
hey baggs if the software worked so well why must i download extra software to utilize the program the way i want, winamp doesn't need that !!! The software is incomplete and sloppy... i know how to use the program but does apple care enough to simply make an upgraded version that will solve the problem?? that is the real question...

-later

If that was the case you wouldn't have the two problems you outlined in your original post. The user can have full control of how the library is managed. System prefs also allows you to dictate what action takes place when you insert cd's etc.

I do agree that there are some things that can be improved and I'm not sure the foundations of iTunes are as developed as the other iLife programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

-later

Uh, that's the beauty of Applescript. If you know how ti use it you can create all those little shortcuts and tasks yourself. It's a built in part of the system. All the complaints in your OP are simply things that you have not bothered to figure out how to do. They are there, as had been posted by others, you just have not bothered to try them yet.

Trust me, for a library the size of mine (that 84k number didn't include my videos either) iTunes is great and I have none of the issues you posted about. Your complaint about it being "crap" simply smacks of trolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I agree. Perhaps you don't like the automatic features of iTunes, like automatic iPod synching etc. I turned all that off because I'm a control freak and I prefer to tell iTunes what I want it to do. It really is a great program if you take the time to learn it and research all of its features. I suspect a lot of your frustration is simply from having to learn a different program. Give it a chance and you'll be happy with it.

Reaction score
The software is incomplete and sloppy... i know how to use the program
You've already shown that you couldn't find a clearly labeled checkbox in the options panel and you also couldn't find a clearly labeled menu option. I would argue that, no, you don't know how to use the program.

M

MacHeadCase

If that was the case you wouldn't have the two problems you outlined in your original post. The user can have full control of how the library is managed. System prefs also allows you to dictate what action takes place when you insert cd's etc.

I do agree that there are some things that can be improved and I'm not sure the foundations of iTunes are as developed as the other iLife programs.

You've already shown that you couldn't find a clearly labeled checkbox in the options panel and you also couldn't find a clearly labeled menu option. I would argue that, no, you don't know how to use the program.

I entirely agree. This seems like an Error ID 18.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D
I don't know, I kind of agree with the topic starter but I guess I'm the dumb one right? I tried using seneti and it messed up every time I tried to move music from my old PC to my new macbook. It created hundreds of folders in my music folder and then when it was adding the copied files to iTunes it made copies of them again, then it crashed :( I'm gonna give it another go now.

Reaction score
I don't know, I kind of agree with the topic starter but I guess I'm the dumb one right?
No, but maybe you didn't see the checkboxes you needed to set to make it work how you wanted. I dunno.

But remember that there are millions of people who use iTunes without incident so draw your own conclusions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i love itunes as do many 1000's of ppl. so i dont think you can say its crap just cos you dont like or get on with it.

i say give it a chance and play around with the preferences.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Set iTunes up right and NONE of what you are talking about will happen. Sorry, don't blame iTunes for user error. I use it everyday and never have the issues talked about in this thread. Why? Because I used the settings PROVIDED by Apple to set it the way I want it.

Sorry for ranting but am getting a bit fed up with things that are not true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.