• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why would I do that?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sometimes things are changed just for the sake of change.
Recently we looked at doing some renovation and modernising in our home, not really my idea you understand. So a consultant came out to talk us through some ideas and options. A young woman, stylishly dressed duely arrived and after a brief inspection sat us down to talk through some ideas and options.
As a part of her presentation she mentioned the door knobs, "and you'll want to replace these of course," she said. Now of course I realise they are dated. Probably originating in the late 1950's but in my mind they are so well designed, not to mention fully functional that i could not imagine improving on the design. Why would I want to replace them I wondered? They are an engineering marvel, complete perfection in design, comfort and purpose. For one thing you can open one with your elbow if necessary but apart from that they are a pleasure to wrap your hand around. Note the smooth, curved top for your fingers and the concave depression on the underside for your thumb.
For all those engineers out there (apart from making it out of wood maybe) I cant improve on it, how about you? IMG_2183.jpeg IMG_2182.jpeg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What did she want to replace them with? My understanding was that the current idea was to move from traditional "knobs" to something like this precisely because they can be opened with an elbow. Big deal for folks carrying packages often or those who have difficulty closing your hand around a traditional knob due to arthritis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Looked at the photos first and thought these were the replacements! They are timelessly stylish, totally in keeping with today's retro fashion, and only an idiot would suggest replacing them. If I had my time over again (I was a journalist then public relations) I would be an interior decorator. Send me some photos and I'll give you some ideas. Warning - I don't do neutrals, big fan of colour!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks Sue, I'll do just that. Over the 40 years my wife and I have been married we have bought, renovated and sold 5 homes plus 2 more that did not require nenovation. This home, a modest two bedroom, double fronted, double brick home was supposed to be our last. Of course we did not spend much time in it until now. We were living in Indonesia. Originally we converted the brick garage into a sort of studio space with the intention of storing our stuff and providing short term accommodation for the brief times we would be in Australia and renting the main house. As soon as the truck from the storage company opened its doors we realised this was not going to work. So we now rent the studio, an arrangement that has worked out very well. The only thing that influences me is that the pandemic has given us time to ponder the possibility of living here more frequently and for longer periods that originally envisioned. That has in turn led my wife to consider ways in which we could "maximise the potential" of this property.
Anyways, a picture says a thousand words so as you kindly suggested, I'll send you some pics.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why would I want to replace them I wondered?

The designer wants to change them ("of course") to make more money!;)

You did say in post #1 that this project (not your idea)...was "renovation and modernising"...thus changing the door knobs for modernizing could/would fit this goal.:)

But the problem is...interior design (or anything that's "trendy")...can be so subjective. For example..."mid-century modern" is a popular design theme these days. Those door knobs could be considered "mid-century modern".

Even funnier. If you decided to replace those door knobs...the interier designer would make money replacing them with your project...then take your old discarded door knobs...sell them (at a premium) to another project she's working on (a mid-century modern project)...and make more money.

I think the bottom line is...if those door knobs still function well...and you're happy with them...no need to change to fit some snobby interior designer's idea of "what's hot/popular now"...and in 6 months won't be "hot" anymore!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
As a person with arthritic hands - round door knobs are hard to use. We have them and since I live in a 150+ year old house and they are original, we have kept them. But some day I promise you I will get stuck in the bathroom because I can’t get the door knob to turn! Keep them or upgrade to a similar design. They work much better for those of us with aging hands.

Lisa

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed, give me lever handles every time. Try pulling a door fitted with a knob closed with one finger or opening with wet hands. I have to say her comment sort of put me off straight away. As Nick was saying, these are "Mid Century Modern" and looking trough a few online catalogues I see plenty of reproductions of this design, although not quite as elegant, at around $20.00 a piece.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
She means Red! Or shades thereof:wink:giggle

Ian

I do have red blinds in my kitchen! My favourite decorating colour is blue - other than my study (hah, sewing room and nail salon!) and dining room, all rooms have shades of blue. It's a Victorian terrace (row house) with high ceilings and original mouldings. I recently re-did the dining room, opening up the wall where the original cooking range was, with a bold art deco paper.
IMG_4112.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Don’t discount that the decorator wants to change your door knobs and repurpose them for someone else.

My reply to her “Of course you will want to replace those” would have been “Um, no.”

I like them! I am all about comfort and practicality in a home.

Lisa

Reaction score
The only problem with those is my son's experience. Their cat has learned to jump up and pull it down and let himself out. Cat's name is Harry Potter. Dumb animals.

Reaction score
I've never understood the big deal about "modernizing" things when all that's involved is aesthetics. I actually PREFER retro looks and where I live now is basically unchanged since the 80s, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Modernising is not quite what we had in mind. This is a mid century modern home and really we wanted to get some ideas about how we might open it up a bit at the back while keeping the style and design features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need a builder or architect, not a designer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You need a builder or architect, not a designer.

+1!!! Agreed.

And check out some of their before and after finished work.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sometimes things are changed just for the sake of change.
Recently we looked at doing some renovation and modernising in our home, not really my idea you understand. So a consultant came out to talk us through some ideas and options. A young woman, stylishly dressed duely arrived and after a brief inspection sat us down to talk through some ideas and options.
As a part of her presentation she mentioned the door knobs, "and you'll want to replace these of course," she said. Now of course I realise they are dated. Probably originating in the late 1950's but in my mind they are so well designed, not to mention fully functional that i could not imagine improving on the design. Why would I want to replace them I wondered? They are an engineering marvel, complete perfection in design, comfort and purpose. For one thing you can open one with your elbow if necessary but apart from that they are a pleasure to wrap your hand around. Note the smooth, curved top for your fingers and the concave depression on the underside for your thumb.
For all those engineers out there (apart from making it out of wood maybe) I cant improve on it, how about you? View attachment 31785 View attachment 31784

The problem with designers is regardless of how good or bad they might be, any change from current designs or layout can be seen as as a positive due to a placebo effect. Simply because a designer or architect did something, and they are paid to improve, people will tend to fall in line with anything they do and approve of it. I don't see it that way. In your mind and mine, I believe we both know those those door parts you have will probably outlast you and the house if they're truly from the 50's. I think they look cool!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.