Why won't this setup work?!?!?!

Reaction score
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!

All I want to do is use multiple displays with my iMac. I want to use a second monitor alongside my iMac and also be able to use my wall mounted TV to be able to view photos/films/iTunes etc for cinematic viewing.

If I want to use the second monitor I will not turn on my wall mounted TV (or have it switched to a different input source – via the amp). Or, if I want to watch media from my iMac on my wall mounted TV, I will not switch on the 2nd monitor. I thought this would be pretty straight forward.

Here’s my equipment.

iMac (mid 2011) - 1 ThunderBolt port
Using a ThunderBolt/HDMI converter cable
Into a HDMI splitter (not a ‘switch’ a basic 1-into-2 cable)
One HDMI going into a 22" Samsung TV/Monitor
One HDMI going into my Pioneer amp, going into my Samsung wall mounted 48" TV

It seems the problem is with the HDMI splitter part of the equation, I can plug either the Samsung monitor into the ThunderBolt/HDMI converter without problem. Or plug the Pioneer amp into the ThunderBolt/HDMI splitter without problem. But not both

In system preferences/displays (when both displays are connected to the HDMI splitter) nothing appears, no "gather windows" nothing, nada.

I have images of the kit I am using, if anyone thinks that might be the problem.

Help me Mac Forum, you're my only hope.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're using one of those el cheapo cable splitters, it is likely the problem. Personally, wouldn't even waste the effort connecting one of them. Get a decent powered (amplified) splitter - preferably one that has 2 way communication.

Reaction score
I wouldn't of used a splitter.

Let me explain.

It works better with using your iMacs display and displaying to one other monitor using only two if you use more then two the thunderbolt option will work but there might not be enough hrz coming from the adapter to hand the screens or it might be so low of signal strength the screen doesn't respond.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I wouldn't of used a splitter.

Let me explain.

It works better with using your iMacs display and displaying to one other monitor using only two if you use more then two the thunderbolt option will work but there might not be enough hrz coming from the adapter to hand the screens or it might be so low of signal strength the screen doesn't respond.

Let me explain:

That is why you get an amplified splitter.
And the 2 way communication is so that the TV/screen can pass proper EDID info to the computer.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.