Why use a QR code to log on?

Reaction score
Every couple of weeks, when I go to icloud.com on my Mac, it has me log in again. I have two choices:
1. I can enter my ID and password, and then get a 2-factor code displaying on my Mac, which I copy to my browser (also on my Mac), and then say I trust my computer. (If it's displayed on my Mac, it already must trust it!!!)
2. I can display a QR code, get out my phone, and scan it.

Both of these are a lot of work. But is there a reason that Apple decided to offer the QR scan? If you're browsing on your phone, do you need two phones to scan it?

I don't "get" it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This what Apple says about why and how to scan a QR Code.

What puzzles me a little is that you imply that Apple requires this from you when logging into iCloud. Did you previously agree to this method? As far as I know, it's not compulsory.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
It gives me a choice between the two ways I mentioned above. One way involves entering a password and getting a code sent to my Mac so I can type it in, and the other getting out my phone and scanning a QR code. Neither one makes sense to me. Both are clumsy.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
H
Reaction score
I have an iMac. When I got that code, I pull out my iPhone and scan that QR code. I waited until icloud.com forgot I was logged in again to see if the 2nd time would be less clumsy. No, I would have to start again.

Apple must think this might be preferable in some way, but that way is not at all obvious to me.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, just to clarify, you are logging into icloud.com with your Apple ID (user name an password) in a web browser on an iMac right?
In my case (as above) I receive a message on the Mac and my other "trusted" devices that someone is attempting to login to my Apple ID from a certain location. I can approve this (or not) and receive a code on all of those devices and approve the login from any of those devices by entering that code. Usually I would do this on the machine itself rather than a secondary device, I've never been offered a QR code as an alternative to filling the user name an password but I am offered the option of using a "Passkey" because I have created one.

OP
H
Reaction score
That is correct. I have to do it every week or two, even though I use the same browser on the same Mac. I figure it's the same logic that makes me have to log onto my iPad and iPhone every week or two instead of using my face ID. What that logic is, I don't know.

Using the QR code is a new option that I've only seen the last month or so.

That site doesn't seem to offer me a chance to use a passkey (and my fingerprint) (maybe if I was on Safari).

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.