Why should I get a wooden iPad holder for my gadget?

Reaction score
I just entered college and now renting my own place near the university. My dad bought me an iPad, so I can easily review my school notes without the hassle of bringing so much books with me. Knowing about my new gadget, one my newly-found friends urged me to buy a case from this wooden iPad holder seller, saying that it can serve as additional protection. Not a fan of using cases since they can make an iPad bulky or heaver, but do you think it’s better to use one than risk it? And what other reasons can I consider for getting it aside from protection?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You haven't told us which iPad you have? Putting a case on an iPad does offer it some protection but unlike an iPhone, an iPad is larger and heavier. You might consider using a cover that Apple sells rather than a case. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro that I use and also have the Apple smart keyboard - cover. I also have a small carry bag that I place it in. The total weight of all of it makes it a chore to carry around away from home. Being a college student, I'm sure you'll have books to take from class to class along with your phone and now an iPad. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I totally agree with Admin chscag.

He suggested, and I concur, that the "Smart Cover" may be all you need. It is magnetically attached to the side of the iPad and is thus easily removed/attached. When closed, it automatically closes your iPad - sleep mode. It is washable and durable, also very light.

This link is to the UK site, but you can adjust that to your location. You will see it listed as "Smart Cover". Buy iPad Accessories - Apple (UK)

Other options are also shown.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
one my newly-found friends urged me to buy a case from this wooden iPad holder seller, saying that it can serve as additional protection.

I don't think I could put much faith into a wooden iPad holder as far as any proper protection goes, even with its excessive bulk compared to other protective covers Using better materials and design.

And certainly lots of third party options available, and some at a very affordable price.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I just entered college and now renting my own place near the university. My dad bought me an iPad, so I can easily review my school notes without the hassle of bringing so much books with me. Knowing about my new gadget, one my newly-found friends urged me to buy a case from this wooden iPad holder seller, saying that it can serve as additional protection. Not a fan of using cases since they can make an iPad bulky or heaver, but do you think it’s better to use one than risk it? And what other reasons can I consider for getting it aside from protection?

Hi SkyLawson - welcome to the forum! :) I'm on my 3rd iPad and have always added an Apple Smart-Cover (or equivalent; like others have suggested) - adds little weight or bulk, magnetically closes and puts the device on lock, and protects both surfaces; plus, the cost is minimal. I cannot imagine what a 'wooden' case would even look like and how much weight and bulk would be added - now I'm a woodworker and could easily build some kind of case for my iPad but would take a lot of planning w/ thin woods to make a satisfactory case - your 'new' friends are likely pushing a 'local' artisan for your consideration - if you want some protection w/o a lot of burden, then consider a case like the one shown below. Dave
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 8.46.30 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.