• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why should I buy an iMac compared to this PC computer?

Reaction score
My link is dead, how do I delete this thread?

Here is the $1200 iMac I am think about buying:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/brow...

And here is the $899 Intel Core 2 Quad with 3GB of memory leaving me with enough money to spare for a good monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...

Mac fans, make your case because this PC seems like its on steroids compared to the iMac. Why should I pay more for slower hardware with the Mac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can edit your post and fix the URL's. URL's from the Apple Store usually do not work as you are logged in there as you and no one else will see them.

Only reason to purchase the iMac over the PC is OSX. Yes you can install OSX on the PC but it's Illegal and totally against the forum rules to discuss. A Mac is the only legal and correct way to run OSX. OSX is the only reason to purchase a Mac. If after trying OSX you feel Vista or XP is better for you, then by all means purchase your PC with it's On Steroids hardware.

Reaction score
Any Mac ,As you will not be fighting viruses and spys the rest of your life.

Reaction score
Both has it's pros and cons, but I just love the functionality of the Mac better. You don't have to worry about having different types of viruses etc slowing down and messing up your computer. Also all the money:$ you will save on software that doesn't protect you 100% against those malicious attacks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you have to ask, especially the way you worded it, you shouldn't bother. Buy the "PC on steroids" and be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
You can't just compare a Mac and PC spec for spec, the OS plays a big role in the power of the system.

Sure, if you look at each individual component, the PC appears to have the edge, but I think if you benchmarked the machines against one another you'd be surprised. The Mac is a much better integrated system.

Still, each to his own. If you're a gamer, get the PC. If you're more into a all-around computer, I'd recommend the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Macbook pro
Are you a gamer because if you are get the pc for sure. If you are not a gamer then the imac is really good. I have a macbook and then i have a gaming pc. I prefer windows desktops but if you want a laptop go mac. Dont worry about viruses just be careful what you download. Well i just thought about what you wrote and it seems you are not a gamer because then you would build your own pc but the question is what do you want the pc for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just buy the PC and be happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Buy the PC unless you want to use OS X. Mac hardware pricing is only ever competitive/comparable with that of non-Apple manufacturers the first month a new model comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.