Why no Mac-Forums on Tapatalk

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just recently and I apologise for being unable to recall the thread or author someone replied in regard to the Mac-Forums app becoming redundant with the next iOS version.
I'm sure they suggested Tapatalk as an alternative so I downloaded the app and added a few sites I regularly visit but when I did a search for Mac-Forums I came up blank. So I added the URL for the home page and received a message saying,"Mac-Forums is currently unavailable in Tapatalk however you can continue to interact with other Tapatalk users in the forum/blog chatroom."
This was not quite the result I was hoping for.
If this site management is not going to update the app is there some reason why it can't at least be available via other iOS apps or are we stuck with using a browser?
I can access MacRumors Forums, Mactalk Australia, Apple Forums and iMore on Tapatalk what's going on with Mac-Forums?:\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It was me that suggested trying TapaTalk. As you probably know, the Mac-Forums iOS app has been abandoned by iNET and very likely will no longer be developed. When Apple deploys iOS 11 sometime probably late this year along with the iPhone 8, 32 bit iOS apps according to rumor will no longer work. We do not know that for sure but there have been rumors to that effect.

As for TapaTalk not supporting Mac-Forums, you'll need to complain to the developers of TapaTalk about that. Our site owners and management are not involved with TapaTalk. Our forums run on the same software that many others do and should be just a matter of adding us to the next update of TapaTalk.

I'm not concerned because if the Mac-Forums app no longer works, I'll just use my iPad instead with Safari. The Mac-Forums app is not suited for Admin or Modertor use anyway as many of the things we need to have access to are not available.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thank you for that full explanation. I just plugged my iPhone into iTunes and noted a TapaTalk update downloaded as well as a iOS 10.3.1 update was offered, thought it would be small but its 2.34 Gb. Thats some update! Especially only a week after 10.3

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a little bit of duplication but I have a new Android phone (I know, I know, it's a long story) so because I am unable to survive without my daily dose of Mac Forums I did a search for "Mac Forums on Tapatalk" The third hit seemed appropriate so i clicked on it, was taken to the Google Play Site to download the app. It seems it will be supported on Android but not on mac iOS. How sad is that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The original Mac-Forums App by iNET was and is based on an older version of Tapatalk. And it's not true that Tapatalk does not support iOS. Tapatalk is listed in the iTunes App store and supports many of the larger Mac type forums. For example, Tapatalk fully supports MacRumors. Unfortunately it does not list Mac-Forums as being supported.

For me it's not a problem because I can access Mac-Forums using Safari on my iPad. Works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.