Why no builit in card reader??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You want this bolted onto your beautiful MBP...

mem_read_sbt-icr42w_bg.jpg

Well, that's going a bit far. There's much better, more compact designs availible that wouldn't look much different than the expresscard slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Exactly. People say Apple was forward-thinking and allowing for future capability when it incorporated the expresscard slot, but really limited it's use when it only put the 34mm slot in. I'm pretty sure the 54mm slots also asccept the 34mm cards.

The Express/54 slot can indeed utilise 34mm cards, but I'm not so sure that Apple's decision was backward thinking. As SDHC format has come out (high density SD), we may see CF becoming less common. Nikon has switched their DSLRs to use SD (one of the reasons I'm considering their line over Canon), and we may see others follow.

In the meantime, I do agree that it will be hassle to carry an external card reader if I do end up with a CF camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I can read and write to CF cards inserted in my Epson R300 printer connected to my old Dell and I expect to be able to continue doing so when I make the switch to a new iMac. Since most printers now have card readers built in - problem solved?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have exactly 2 devices that use a card (SD). My Nikon D50 and my Palm Treo 700P. They both use the same type of card. I plug the camera directly into the Mac to download pictures and I simply sync my Treo. I don't have any real need for a card reader and certainly would rather not have one included when it would never be used. Just my $.02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The Express/54 slot can indeed utilise 34mm cards, but I'm not so sure that Apple's decision was backward thinking. As SDHC format has come out (high density SD), we may see CF becoming less common. Nikon has switched their DSLRs to use SD (one of the reasons I'm considering their line over Canon), and we may see others follow.

In the meantime, I do agree that it will be hassle to carry an external card reader if I do end up with a CF camera.

I still think Apple is forward-thinking, but I think it was a mistake to use a 34mm rather than a 54mm for more flexibility of use. I didn't make my previous statement the way I intended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.