Why does an incoming phone call ring on my iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13” MacBook Pro - late 2013, iPhone 11 iPad Pro Mac Mini
Setup:
My iPhone 11 is set to do not disturb and silence all calls not in my contacts and connected to my WiFi.
My iPad does not have a phone app, the volume is set to mute and connected to my WiFi.
Handoff is enabled And should ring if the above conditions are not met.
Why does my iPad ring at full volume when all the above conditions are met?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, what I’m talking about is the volume on the iPad is mute, why does it ring.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, in order for your iPad to ring it must have cellular access. If it's WiFi only, it will not ring.

In any event, you can turn that off by removing the option to allow your iPad to answer phone calls.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, in order for your iPad to ring it must have cellular access. If it's WiFi only, it will not ring.

In any event, you can turn that off by removing the option to allow your iPad to answer phone calls.
The iPad doesn't need cellular access, WiFi calling is enabled. Everyone seems to be missing my point. The Volume on the iPad is muted, nothing should be heard, no phone, notifications or anything. Why is it ringing?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, Do Not Disturb is enabled

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPad doesn't need cellular access, WiFi calling is enabled. Everyone seems to be missing my point. The Volume on the iPad is muted, nothing should be heard, no phone, notifications or anything. Why is it ringing?

You are missing what we're trying to tell you. The reason your iPad is ringing regardless of whether the sound is up or down, is because you have enabled calls on the iPad. Turn that option off and then no more rings.

Do you want calls to be received on your iPad?

And by the way, if your iPad is not cellular equipped, you won't get rings at all. WiFi calling has nothing to do with that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand and agree with almost everything you say. The exception is you do no need cellular on an iPad to receive calls. The point is not about receiving calls on my iPad. I do want to receive calls on my iPad which occurs because I have Continuity enabled, https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/28/stop-ipad-ringing-when-iphone-called/.
My point is the call shouldn't ring when the volume is muted. It doesn't ring on the iPhone when the volume is muted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It rings on the iPad because it has no option not to. On the iPhone, if you move the switch to mute the ring, it vibrates to alert you. On the iPad there is no vibrate option, so it rings. Otherwise there is no way for you to know the call is coming in. If you don't want it to ring, don't enable WiFi calls on the iPad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't want it to ring, don't enable WiFi calls on the iPad.

Also, I believe Rod mentioned having Continuity enabled. And I did not know whether or not @mmouer wanted to receive calls on the iPad.

I have that option turned off because I remember how annoying it was when I received a call. You can turn that off from your iPhone under settings.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The exception is you do no need cellular on an iPad to receive calls.

I understand that. However, when you are out and about with your iPad and no WiFi, you can not receive calls unless you have a cellular iPad.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely true and my iPad is rarely out and about. BTW, maybe you can answer another question for me. When I purchase a new iPad, probably next year, if I get cellular is it the same number as my iPhone or do I need to pay for a separate number from the carrier? Also BTW, I appreciate all your responses and sharing of your knowledge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you purchase a new iPad with cellular your ISP will assign a number to it. And yes, your carrier will charge you an extra fee. A previous iPad that I owned was set to Verizon cellular and they charged me a separate fee every month. And it was assigned its own number. (A cellular iPad has a SIM slot.)

You need to shop around though. I switched to T-Mobile shortly after my contract with Verizon was up and their monthly charge for the iPad was much less than what Verizon charged.

I no longer have an iPad with cellular, just WiFi since I only use it at home as a backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that's good to know especially since we switched to T-Mobile from Verizon about 6 months ago. Have a great evening and thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
T-Mobile is very reasonable. I have 2 phones and 3 tablets on it. 2 are iPads and one android, everything is unlimited on each device and it is $140 per month total.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.