Why do I have to create a new user account to upgrade to Snow Leopard OS?

Reaction score
Just installed Snow Leopard (upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6) from disk onto macbook. I typed in my account name and password when prompted after install, but it takes me to a page to create a new account. Why can I not use my old account info?

M

MacInWin

Did you do a clean install, i.e., format the drive, install the OS? IF so, your old account was erased in the installation process.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the response.
I did not intentionally reformat the drive. I put in the new OS disk, and then just clicked INSTALL as far as I know. If I saw an option for a clean install I would not have intentionally selected it, but I suppose it is possible that anything might have happened. I don't really recall any install options. After about an hour or so, it said "less than a minute left", then it locked up. The computer was frozen (could not even force quit), so I had to power it down. When it came back up, it was going through that animated "welcome" sequence with the cosmic background, that then started the sequence of pages asking me to make a new account.
I did back up the drive before I inserted the Snow Leopard disk, but I don't understand why I have to make a new account even if it reformatted. When I tried entering my old account info, I got a message saying that the name was already in use, so why don't I have an option of using my same old account?
Thanks again p.s.: I have been using Macs for 25 years and have done updates before and never had an issue.

M

MacInWin

I don't really recall any install options. After about an hour or so, it said "less than a minute left", then it locked up. The computer was frozen (could not even force quit), so I had to power it down
That may be the problem. It wasn't frozen, it was still installing. You killed it in the middle, so when you restarted, it went to the opening screen, but is confused by the existence of an account on the drive. Given that you have a backup, I'd do a new install and let it finish. That one minute prompt can take up to an hour to clear. Just let it run. You might consider reformatting the drive, if you are confident of the backup. If you have MS Office or any Abobe Creative software, you may need to install them again and re-register them.

M

MacInWin

BTW, I posted somewhere else that the "less than a minute left" message didn't say WHICH minute. It took me a while to get to that particular minute.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the replies. I do appreciate it!
So, it seems I have no choice now but to reconfigure my machine and set up a new account because it reformatted my drive.
I don't understand why we don't have an option to carry over the same account info. I don't remember having to start a new account every time I got a new machine.
and, p.s.:
The thing about the machine possibly "freezing" is, the cursor could no longer be moved around the screen, the activity monitor and "spinning wheel" were all frozen, no response from trackpad or keys, force quit menu could not be accessed, and the drive was silent.
I have never seen the screen lock up like that, and stay that way for so long without it being frozen. Why would it do that--or rather HOW could it do that and still be working? The drive had spun down and was quiet. It was no longer doing anything. I left it up for a while in case it was still efforting (which I guess I neglected to mention earlier), but, nothing.
Regardless, it would seem I have to start from scratch now anyway.
Thanks again!

M

MacInWin

OK, now you are telling more information. Where did you get the install disc? What color is it? There may be more going on with those new symptoms.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, it seems it was, in fact done installing the new OS. I went through the new registration process that came up automatically when I powered the machine back up. I guess it just insists on starting a new account with the new OS (new OLD OS :))
When the registration process was done, the desktop came up with the new OS; AND old files and apps are there! I did not expect that. So I guess all is well. Thanks again very much!

OP
M
Reaction score
Just saw your last reply, the OS install disk was purchased from apple. But it seems to be working.
It is actually my girlfriend's macbook, so she will have to test drive it to be sure, but it looks ok to me.

I don't know why it froze up like that, but upon reboot I was just startled to see the registration sequence come up. I thought she could keep her old acct info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've come across the apparent freeze with a 10.6.x Snow Leopard install several times and even on my own Macs. Nothing else to do but a force reboot.

As long as the user seems intact and everything is working you're probably good to go. And as for the Apple ID, you should be able to use the old one or make any needed changes so that you only have one.

Try the usual Apple methods, i.e.:
https://appleid.apple.com

PS: You may want to run Disk Utility to Repair permissions and run all Software Updates until no more show, and alternatively download and run the Mac OS X 10.6.8 COMBO Update, and then run DU Repair again.

M

MacInWin

One point of clarification. The logon to her account is NOT her Apple ID, just her logon. Her Apple ID is what she uses to purchase things from the App Store, iTunes, etc. The two are not normally the same (and should not be, for security purposes). I don't know why the install took you to the new user process. It should not have done that, and it is also very curious how it just happened to match the new account to her data. That should not have happened, either. The internals of the system don't really use the name/password you type in, they are assigned unique internal user numbers for the system to use and those are supposed to be unique, no matter the login username/password similarities. But given the very strange process you took to get it installed, I guess anything is possible. I suspect she'll have problems down the road from this process, but for now, you've dodged a bullet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sounds like the OP has it all sorted out. Congrats!

BTW, I posted somewhere else that the "less than a minute left" message didn't say WHICH minute. It took me a while to get to that particular minute.

Yeah, those "timers" are really useless. Love the ones that go on percentages and go lickety-split up to 95% and then stall for what seems like forever before they finish. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sounds like the OP has it all sorted out. Congrats!

Yeah, those "timers" are really useless. Love the ones that go on percentages and go lickety-split up to 95% and then stall for what seems like forever before they finish. :\

Yes, a bit of a programmers glitch when the dialog and blue spinning barber pole, if and when it keeps spinning, says less than one minute remaining only to discover it goofed up on seconds and really meant minutes. And some forty-five minutes+ later it just might finish - if it hasn't seemingly frozen and stays in such a state for hours.

Thank gosh they made a force quit button, even if it is hidden and buried at the back of most Macs. Strange design thinking Jony!! ;)

M

MacInWin

CLIP...
Thank gosh they made a force quit button, even if it is hidden and buried at the back of most Macs. Strange design thinking Jony!! ;)
Not a strange place if you know much about *nix systems. Power loss or forced shutdown is the number one killer of *nix, so it makes perfect sense for the power button to be well hidden. Makes it more unlikely that a "rookie" will reach for it and make things worse!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.