Why after using Time Machine on EHD is drive read only

Reaction score
I bought a 3TB external hard drive so I could use Time Machine plus MOVE some large files over to that drive to free up some space on my MacBook Pro with Yosemite. But when I tried to move some files over there, it said it was 'read only". Can I change this? (Time Machine has fully backed up my system.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When Time Machine uses an external drive for backup the drive is rendered "read only" in order to protect the integrity of the backup image. If you wish to use that drive for storing files other than your Time Machine backups (not recommended) then you will have to partition the drive into two separate partitions. For example, your 3 TB drive can be partitioned as one 2 TB partition for backups, and one 1 TB partition for storage. Or however you wish to divide the drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
When Time Machine uses an external drive for backup the drive is rendered "read only" in order to protect the integrity of the backup image. If you wish to use that drive for storing files other than your Time Machine backups (not recommended) then you will have to partition the drive into two separate partitions. For example, your 3 TB drive can be partitioned as one 2 TB partition for backups, and one 1 TB partition for storage. Or however you wish to divide the drive.

Thank you for this information. Do I have to delete the Time Machine backup until I get the drive partitioned? And then re-establish Time Machine to backup to the partition I designated for this? I've never partitioned a drive before so this is all new stuff to me. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

M

MacInWin

Essentially, yes, that is what you need to do. Make the TM partition about twice the size of the drive(s) you are backing up with TM, the rest can then go into the other partition for your data. I have that exact setup here with a 2TB drive, split 50/50.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't mind losing the backup you made, that would be the easiest method. Or, you can copy the backup to a temporary location and restore it after the partitioning is completed.

We really do not recommend using the same external drive for Time Machine and storage because if the drive should fail, you would not only lose your backups, but also the stored data. It's best to use two separate drives if possible.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you don't mind losing the backup you made, that would be the easiest method. Or, you can copy the backup to a temporary location and restore it after the partitioning is completed.

We really do not recommend using the same external drive for Time Machine and storage because if the drive should fail, you would not only lose your backups, but also the stored data. It's best to use two separate drives if possible.

Another question: I have another 500gb EHD that is in storage. What I'm thinking about doing is bringing that EHD out, deleting Time Machine from the new 3TB EHD and putting the files that are on the 500GB on the 3TB, then using the 500gb for Time Machine. BUT, after I delete Time Machine from the 3TB, how do I make the 3TB something other than Read Only. I know, lots of info here to mull over, but I think this might be my best option since partioning has not been recommended. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

M

MacInWin

If you don't care about losing the backups, just reformat the 3Tb, copy the 500Gb to it, then reformat the 500Gb and assign it to TM. You'll lose the backups and anything now on the big drive, but you get to where you want to be.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you don't care about losing the backups, just reformat the 3Tb, copy the 500Gb to it, then reformat the 500Gb and assign it to TM. You'll lose the backups and anything now on the big drive, but you get to where you want to be.

Thank you! We have an icy weather forecast coming up. Sounds like a good project for that day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.