Why a 750p display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I have never seen another device that uses a 750x1334 resolution, it seems awfully arbitrary...

Given the more conventional 1080p display on the 6+, it is odd that they didn't either give the 6 a 4.5" 720p (326ppi) or 4.6" 900p (401ppi) display...

Maybe it's just me, but this bit of "Different Thinking" doesn't seem to serve any obvious purpose...

C

chas_m

I'm not sure why this matters at all. 720p movies will still play in the correct aspect ratio, and keeping the pixels exactly 2x or 3x means that developers don't all have to release new versions of their apps all at once, or significantly revise them (really, just upgrade the art assets and that's it).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
and keeping the pixels exactly 2x or 3x means that developers don't all have to release new versions of their apps all at once
Yes and no. While apps will retain fidelity, assets including things like keyboards (yes, the Apple one as well) will look fuzzy if applications haven't been rebuilt. You'll notice this with apps that haven't been rebuilt for iOS 8.

new.png
old.png

As you see there, the keyboard are of different sizes, built for different resolutions.

C

chas_m

Ah, good point. Keyboards are soft of "art assets" in a way, but yeah they have to be updated as well. I have one or two old iPhone-native apps that I run on my iPad, the fuzziness from the upscaling is obvious but well-handled. Would be interesting to see if they look "worse" on the new Plus than on my present iPad!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I admit that the keyboard pictures don't do that justice. A perfect example of this scaling issue is with OneDrive. This certainly isn't a fault of Apple's and I hope the developers jump on board to fix this shortly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.