Who is using Passkeys now.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a few Passkeys now and more are being slowly added, today I was further reminded when I updated my Password Manager (Enpass). Below is their More Info from the app Store Updates page;

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 10.07.34 am.png
The last paragraph is interesting because I already had a few device-specific Passkeys which is not a problem utilising Enpass' new feature, those passkeys reside in the macOS Keychain like the one I have for Google services but it is a choice to make. Do you want to keep your Passkeys device specific or use a password manager and sync the same Passkey across all your devices?

Either way this is obviously the way the "industry" is going and I for one like it. I simply use my Touch ID to login and Google, for example, now offers this as a "Different Way" alternative to sign in as do the others. No more copying and pasting or in the worst case scenario typing in your password manually from memory. This has enabled me to update my Google password to a 20 multi-character password that I could never remember, much more secure.

Here is the Passkeys Register listing all of the current participating sites such as Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Amazon, eBay, GitHub, ect, ect. Passkeys.directory
Each one has a "Details" button which will take you to the appropriate site to activate Passkey access.

I just updated my password and added a Passkey to my Microsoft account while I was writing this post, it entailed using the Microsoft Authenticator app on my iPhone but if you don't have that there are other methods. All in all it's pretty simple, I generated the new 20 character password in Enpass then activated the passkey on the Microsoft Security page. If you are a 1Password user I imagine the process is just as easy if not easier. I do advise keeping your old password on hand until the process is successfully completed in case you muck up and have to repeat.

So, who's using Passkeys and what's your opinion?

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
PS. I think having passkeys for retail sites like Amazon and eBay is brilliant, they are frequently hacked, very difficult to restore and have the potential to cost you a lot of money. The more complex your password for sites like this the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have a few. The work well, and as you say, are more secure. Combined with the face recognition on my iPHone and fingerprint recognition on the Mac, it makes it much easier to use really hard passwords.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.