White screen of death!!!

Reaction score
just before things were FUBAR
My turn to ask for help here.
2011 MBP.
Yesterday i was trying to make a usb boot installer but it never work. I shut down the Mac to go out, when i came back i switch the mac on and just got the 'white screen of death"
I have every key combination there are to be had but just get the white screen.
i have tried.

Safe mode
reinstall over the internet
Clear NVRAM & PRAM
cmd shift
cmd t
cmd option

cmd s did bring up a blue screen with loads of txt but to fast to read, the one bit i did see at the end is 'failed to configure interests'

I was wondering in my stumbling i may may wiped the drive, i find this had to believe as i never clicked on the HD. But when using Terminal not sure what happened there. I only pasted in commands found on the web for making the boot installer.

I would like to fix it myself as that the way i am though i have an independent Apple shop very near me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I did a little googling and turned up this discussion elsewhere, which seems to mirror your problem:

Some in that thread suggested the CPU was fried, but one person insisted that a new battery was all that was needed. Personally, I'm skeptical that it's the battery.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes if i leave the white screen it just shuts down and restarts over and over again.
I did see the fried cpu mentioned, ruled out the battery as it say there for some time when trying things.
I am thinking hard drive but who knows, i can get around most things but this has me beat.
All i know is i am reduced to an old PC running win7 and i nearly lost the will to live, slow, awkward, clumsy to use. Had a Mac for to long and got spoilt.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds more like a defective graphics card would act not the CPU. I don't know which model 2011 MBP you have, but if it has dual graphics (Intel and nVidia) that would be suspect.

Or, it could be as you stated a failed hard drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
Just an update, Tool it to the local Apple shop this morning, it was the graphics.
The way to tell is that the Apple logo when it starts will have faint lines running through it horizontally.
£150 for the fix, collect tomorrow, fast service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Sounds more like a defective graphics card would act not the CPU. I don't know which model 2011 MBP you have, but if it has dual graphics (Intel and nVidia) that would be suspect.

Or, it could be as you stated a failed hard drive.

Whoops... typo. I meant GPU. LOL! Hadn't had enough coffee yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.