White panel on Macbook screen

Reaction score
Opened my computer tonight to find a big white panel taking over most of my screen. I can't click on anything or do anything at all. Any ideas what caused this and what I have to do to fix it? It was a christmas present so not stoked that this has happened!!

11039924_1407590349546992_148402480_n.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

One possibility is physical damage to the LCD with something being pushed on top of the panel. The second is a graphical hardware failure.

Either way, if you got it last Christmas, you are within the first year of AppleCare. Do not attempt to do anything yourself, make an appointment with your closest Apple store and let them check it out..

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you @Raz0rEdge for your reply.
I never purchased AppleCare but will take it to my Apple Store on Monday.
I hope it wasn't physical damage or the kids will have some answering to do :mad:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The first year of AppleCare is included with the purchase the machine. No need to purchase that separately. When AppleCare is purchased separately it adds an additional two years to the warranty as long as the the extension is purchased within the first year.

C

chas_m

That picture does not show any graphical hardware failure. That is a picture of hardware screen damage. At a guess I'd say someone put something exceptionally heavy on top of it/sat on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And it should be noted that even though the machine is still within its one year warranty, physical damage is not covered. If that screen is damaged which I suspect it is, the cost of repairs will be billed to you. Perhaps you need to ask your children?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.