White I Book G4 Problems

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wave:

I have a White I Book G4 which doesn't boot up.

I have attached some pictures(sorry about the sideways picture but it doesn't want to change to Portrait) on what i have done to try and fix it and what the computer does when you turn it on.
I have also tried to boot from the OSX disk but that doesn't work.
It's running 10.4.11

What could be causing the computer to not boot?

Thx for your help

DSC00044.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

C

chas_m

A lot of things could be the culprit, starting with age.

As in, if that's the original HD in there, it's pretty frickin' old.

I can tell from the first pic that the battery is dead or disconnected.

Hard drive looks to be okay, but that doesn't mean there's a healthy or valid system on it.

If possible, I would connect it to another Mac via Firewire Target Disk Mode and see if the contents of the drive are readable (they should be). Salvage what you can, just in case. This computer is, again, quite old.

Next, get a retail disk of Tiger and try booting from that. Maybe the optical drive is rusty, maybe not.

In terms of investing money for repairs, not worth it. If you can't get the data off via Firewire Disk Mode, you're going to be in for some serious money or at least a heck of a tedious job disassembling the thing to get to the HD and extract it so you can put it in another case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What could be causing the computer to not boot?

Thx for your help
Did you just get this computer? If not, how long have you had the computer, and was it running fine previously?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This could also be a logic board failure, as they are prone to it.
The solder fix works perfectly for that, but you need to find someone good to do it, or be handy yourself.
If you can the repair may be worth it, if it's the HD then probably not.

OP
T
Reaction score
Did you just get this computer? If not, how long have you had the computer, and was it running fine previously?

- Nick

I have had this computer for years (probably more than 5)
It all went ***'s up after i downloaded the new java update (OSX software update)
The battery died a while ago, and the battery charger stopped working aswell.

OP
T
Reaction score
A lot of things could be the culprit, starting with age.

As in, if that's the original HD in there, it's pretty frickin' old.

I can tell from the first pic that the battery is dead or disconnected.

Hard drive looks to be okay, but that doesn't mean there's a healthy or valid system on it.

If possible, I would connect it to another Mac via Firewire Target Disk Mode and see if the contents of the drive are readable (they should be). Salvage what you can, just in case. This computer is, again, quite old.

Next, get a retail disk of Tiger and try booting from that. Maybe the optical drive is rusty, maybe not.

In terms of investing money for repairs, not worth it. If you can't get the data off via Firewire Disk Mode, you're going to be in for some serious money or at least a heck of a tedious job disassembling the thing to get to the HD and extract it so you can put it in another case.

How would i connect it via firewire? (Should it of come with a firewire cable?)
Yeah i have never changed the Hard Drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.