Which video capture dongle can be used for MAC OSX?

Reaction score
I am looking for a video capture dongle which can be worked with my Macbook. Has anyone used some kinds of capture dongles? Please advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am looking for a video capture dongle which can be worked with my Macbook. Has anyone used some kinds of capture dongles? Please advise.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide more information if you want recommendations: 1) Mac computer owned; 2) OS X installed; 3) Storage size of HD or SSD & free space available; and 4) What type of video are you wanting to capture (e.g. VHS, DVR, DVD, etc.)?

I do not have a specific recommendation - the only video that I've recorded over the years are public domain movies off my DVR (from the TCM channel) to a stand alone Sony DVD burner. But your question piqued my interest and was just looking on Amazon HERE at one device but might serve your purpose(s) - NOW, I've never used it but there are plenty of reviews. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
;D
MBP17•David;1631460 said:
What software would you use with this adapter, if you're to run it under OS X (10.9.5)?

I don't have my Mac at hand, but there is an app available for download from the manufacturer. Tried it just once.
I use VLC Player for capture on linux - maybe that would work on OS X too?
(device is easycap DC60)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I don't have my Mac at hand, but there is an app available for download from the manufacturer. Tried it just once.
(device is easycap DC60)

Ah, I wasn't sure if this one is actually Easycap DC60 - I tried one of these before and it wouldn't work with Mac app (not all firmware versions do). Just downloaded EasyCapViewer 0.6.2 so will try ...

Thanks for VLC tip - great idea, I have it on my MPB, so will certainly give it a go.

So much hassle just to convert three 25-yr old VHS tapes: buying a VCR, a video capture dongle (second one now) ... one should never venture out to the attic ;D

C

chas_m

As stated above, the best answer depends VERY MUCH on what equipment you have, how much of this work you have to do, and what quality the source material and finished result should be.

Broadly, for capturing old VHS/Beta type tapes to digital for sentimental value, just hand them to a Walgreens or Costco desk and let them do it if we're talking less than a dozen tapes and non-copyrighted stuff. Your time is valuable.

Otherwise, you should visit the El Gato website and pick from their assorted offerings: http://www.elgato.com

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
;D

(device is easycap DC60)

I looked this up recently and the video capture function in VLC doesn't work from a capture device in OS X. Can't find the reference at the moment but I can tell you it has never worked for me. The program quits with the usual program quit unexpectedly message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I can confirm: neither VLC nor EasyCapViewer app work with this dongle :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.