Which Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I've been looking a Mac Pro's on eBay. This poor boy can't afford new. What's the earliest I should consider? I know I can find them locally but I'd like to know just what I'm looking for. I'd prefer being able to run the late OS. I'm really getting tired of my Mindows desktop constantly telling me to wait while it configures or installs and restarts and that's on Windows 10 already. What will it be like when it's been out for a year or two?
Back to the original question. I'd really like it to be well equipped, but I'm not really looking for a Ferrari, something more like a sherman tank will do. I don't usually do a lot of heavy computing. The most power I use is when I'm working with video in Keynote and Power Point .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the earliest I should consider?

You didn't really say why you specifically need/want a Mac Pro. But a Mac Pro model 3,1 is probably the earliest I would consider (it can run the latest OS).

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've been looking a Mac Pro's on eBay. This poor boy can't afford new. What's the earliest I should consider? I know I can find them locally but I'd like to know just what I'm looking for. I'd prefer being able to run the late OS. I'm really getting tired of my Mindows desktop constantly telling me to wait while it configures or installs and restarts and that's on Windows 10 already. What will it be like when it's been out for a year or two?
Back to the original question. I'd really like it to be well equipped, but I'm not really looking for a Ferrari, something more like a sherman tank will do. I don't usually do a lot of heavy computing. The most power I use is when I'm working with video in Keynote and Power Point .

A recent or even older Mac Mini or iMac can handle this with no problem. Are you sure you really want a Mac Pro?

Looking at the iMacs or Mac Minis (if you want to stick with the desktops) will give you a lot more options to choose from..

OP
C
Reaction score
I've looked at Mac Minis. Pretty slick and probably the way to go. I've actually done my homework on those. The only reason I hesitate is it might get lost in the mess on my desk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
An iMac has the monitor built in and it won't get lost on desk. Plus you have a very nice monitor along with it. Unless you have a monitor for the mini you will have to purchase one. Both will need a keyboard and mouse so that is the same.

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but from what I've seen around here, iMacs tend to be a little pricey, running just about on par with a Mac Pro. I like the idea of not really having lots of wires and cables strung all over, tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but from what I've seen around here, iMacs tend to be a little pricey, running just about on par with a Mac Pro. I like the idea of not really having lots of wires and cables strung all over, tho.

To be honest…it doesn't sound like you know what you want.;) The thread started with a Mac Pro…but then you've sounded positive towards a Mac-Mini and an iMac. That pretty much covers every possible desktop Mac.;)

I think that you need to:

- Make a list of what you want in a used Mac (tasks you do on a daily basis, hardware you want, and expandability).
- Decide on a budget…and stick to it. If you change/increase the budget…then you won't be able to narrow things down.
- Shop (eBay, Craig's List, etc.) to see what you can get for that money in terms of a Mac Pro, Mini, and iMac.

After you see what you can get for your budget…then you can make a more informed decision. At this point you seem "rudderless".

- Nick

Reaction score
Just remember one thing..

Don't purchase a mac pro 1.1 or a 2.1 for they won't boot maverick nor yosemite.

Also stay away from the core 2 duo iMac with the black plastic rear panel there graphics cards go and people are quite desperate to unload these models cheap.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but from what I've seen around here, iMacs tend to be a little pricey, running just about on par with a Mac Pro.

Um, no.

Base price for a new iMac: $1,099 (retail)
Base price for a new Mac Pro: $2,999

Likewise, used prices are going to reflect an equal disparity. Reckon on a 2012 or newer, and I think you'll find that you can locate a decent iMac for $600, and a decent Mac Pro for about $1200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Check out "macsales.com" OWC or Other World Computing they have used Macs and they are tested to be in good working order and come with a warranty and technical support. Any extras you might want for your Mac can be got there also, when I ordered my Mac Pro new from B&H.com I then bought 32GB of memory OWC bought the memory that came with my Mac ($6 a card), an internal Bluray burner and other accessories from OWC.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.