Which Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing a MAC Mini in the near future and there seems to be some negativity around the latest update available in Apple Stores for the baseline model anyway.

All I need it for is to download and play media files from my iTunes, do a bit of surfing and basically act as a media hub. I don't really need it to be doing any real heavy lifting.

The one in the apple store is £399 but I have seen one in Currys for £379 apparently reduced from £499 with the following specs:

OVERVIEW
Type Mac Mini
Operating system OS X Mavericks

SPECIFICATION
Processor Intel® Core™ i5 processor (2.5 GHz, 3.1 GHz with TurboBoost, 3MB cache)
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Storage 500 GB HDD, 5400 rpm

CONNECTIVTY
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
USB - USB 3.0 x 4
- Thunderbolt x 1

Other ports FireWire 800 x 1
Video interface - HDMI x 1
- Mini DisplayPort x 1

I don't mind paying the extra £20 if it's the better option but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Apple "updates" as their advertising does my head in even though I love the products.

Also, as I already have Yosemite on another machine attached to my Apple ID, am I going to be able to download it if I opt for the Currys offering?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I only see the specs for one model Mac-Mini listed. Can you list the specs of the other Mac-Mini model you are considering?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh yes, here they are. This might seem like an obvious choice but I know the first set of specs I posted are of an older version and wasn't sure if that made a difference or not.

OVERVIEW
Type Mac mini
Operating system OS X Yosemite

SPECIFICATION
Processor Intel® Core™ i5 processor (1.4 GHz, 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost)
RAM 4 GB LPDDR3
Storage 500 GB HDD, 5400 rpm

CONNECTIVTY
Wireless 802.11 ac
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
USB USB 3.0 x 4

Other ports Thunderbolt x 2
Video interface - HDMI x 1
- Thunderbolt x 2
Audio interface 3.5 mm jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with Option One Rob. Be aware Minis are now not user upgradeable, so if you need more memory, order it with the Mini. 8GB is much better than 4GB. If this Curry's are selling brand new Macs, then Yosemite will be included, however it is a free upgrade from mavericks so does not matter.

For twenty quid I would buy it from Apple.

Mac mini (Late 2014): Memory specifications - Apple Support

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.