Which graphics card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
So I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new iMac and I'm struggling on the graphics card.

My current iMac is a 27" Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5 with 24GB RAM and a Radeon R9 M380 with 2GB.

90% of the time I use my iMac for Lightroom and Photoshop and other photo editing/scanning stuff, Logic Pro X and the usual web, iTunes etc. I do occasionally do some video editing but it is really occasionally. In terms of speed, my current iMac is fine for web. Photoshop is okay unless I'm dealing with large files 150MB+, Lightroom can take a while to load but that's probably because I've got a massive library and some things take a while (I'd defo want this to be faster), Logic is fine on it's own but when you start adding lots of plugins it can sometimes be a bit slow. I'm not a gamer but every now and then I sometimes get the urge to play a game but my iMac really, really struggles to the point of being almost useless. As I said, I do very occasionally do video editing but it's once or twice a year and generally pretty basic. This is partly because my iMac struggles with more complex stuff and partly because I'm primarily interested in stills photography so don't shoot much video anyway.

The new Mac I'm looking at is the 27" 3.8Ghz i7 with 32GB RAM and the Radeon Pro 5500XT 8GB but I could possibly upgrade it.

The Radeon Pro 5700 8GB is more than I'd really want to pay (an additional £300) but I could possibly just about stretch to it if it was going to make a noticeable difference.

Is it worth stretching the budget to the 5700 or would I only really notice a difference in games which are at the bottom of my priority list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Will you be using multiple displays with your iMac? If not, the 5500XT should suffice for your needs.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
No I'll only be running a single screen. Thanks for that, didn't really want to spend the extra if not needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.