Which external hard drive for my old computers?

Reaction score
I have an older imac (2009?) running 10.5.8 and a 2011 macbook pro running 10.7.5. They are filled to capacity with mostly photos. {Yes I am a very bad girl...}
I want to back them up to an external hard drive..a single hard drive between the two of them. Then I will get a Backblaze subscription and work on burning dvds of my images and uploading them for printing so I can get them off my computers...
I am looking at a 3TB hard drive under $250. I have found a G-Drive and a LaCie. I know I need to consider something about USB 2 and USB 3, etc., but I don't know how to determine what I need.
I'm looking for any/all advice in this situation.
Thank you so very much!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion most hard drives are pretty much the same. There are really only around three manufacturers currently in the world making hard drives…so not very many. There is some data that shows that hard drives manufactured by Seagate seem to have a higher/sooner failure rate.

Personally I would go with a Western Digital hard drive.

All those other names you are seeing (LaCie, G-Drive, etc.) are just the folks who are putting one of these HD's into an exterior case…and stamping their name on it.

If you're looking for a rather large external 3TB drive…here's one for $199.99 ($50 less than the one you were looking at)::)

OWC 3.0TB Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM FW800 &USB3... in stock at OWC

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.