• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which Amp and Sub would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hello guys! I have a couple questions for you. I have a '11 Civic Si sedan. I would like to upgrade the Sub and Amp. I was thinking of going with a single 8 but leaning towards a 10". I did have a 1-10" JL Audio in past, but I'm not sure if there is something better. 1)Which Amp and Sub would you recommend? 2)Would you recommend going with a 5 Channel out the gate or just go with a Mono Channel?

Reaction score
Ages ago, I used to work in a car stereo store. Your questions are good ones, but they don't have cut and dried answers. I can give you my personal choices for most situations.

Generally I find any woofer bigger than an 8" to lean towards giving more volume, but less accuracy. Personally I like accuracy, others like more bass volume. So I would go for two 8's over one 10". I"d crossover the two 8's with an analog crossover between the two so that each one could be even more accurate.

Five channel amps are a compromise (less space taken up for more channels, and less installation time), and compromises are rarely best. Generally you will want a separate dedicated very high power amp to run your sub-woofers...unless you will be happy with like one 8" woofer in your system. Unfortunately, separate bass amps are usually physically large, and take up a lot of space, which you may not have to spare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.