Which 2008/9 Macbook has the best Screen White, White Unibody or Macbook Aluminiun?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand Macbook from ebay. The Core 2 Duo versions look the best value for me as they are about £150 - £200 ($230 -$300).

There are 3 types of 13" from around 2008 and 2009. The White model which is quite square in shape, the white unibody model which is rounder, and the Aluminium Macbook (not the Pro). The square shaped one is the cheapest but everything else is about the same, all have 2-2.4ghz cpu, screen size is the same, weight is similar. The main thing I want is a good screen. So which has the best one in terms of viewing angle /colour etc? I guess decent ergonomics are important, so info about different keyboard and trackpads would be good too.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I really don't think that there's a big difference in the display's (from a viewability standpoint). The aluminum MacBook and the "rounded" white MacBook both have LED backlit displays. The white non-rounded MacBook has the older non-LED backlighting technology.

Personally I wouldn't use the display technology to dictate which one of the three I would purchase. I would purchase the model that is the newest & has the best performance. Since at the end of the day…a good display doesn't do anyone much good if the computer is slow as molasses in Winter and cannot get anything done.;) These three models mentioned are already 5-7 years old…and won't be a speed demon.

Of the three models mentioned…I would get the newest model…which is the rounded-edge white MacBook. And of the rounded edge white MacBook models…I would get the 2010 model (there were 2009 and a 2010 models). The 2010 White MacBook 2.4ghz model. It has better graphics hardware & has a max ram of 16gig (more than the other models).

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for that. I wish apple used different model names as its hard to talk about the models when they are all called Macbook!

I've had a look at the benchmarks and there is very little difference between the scores for all 3. A 2010 model is out of budget and is only a few % faster. I plan to run an older OS and add an SSD, so should be quick enough. A friend used to have one of the square shaped ones and used it for music production so any of the 2.26 or 2.4ghz cpus will be fine for my needs which are video watching, office software and web browsing, maybe a bit of DJing.

I found a review that said of the rounded white Macbook "LED backlit display, which eliminates the problem of narrowed viewing angles that we docked the first generation unibody MacBooks for"

This review has some photos about a 3rd of the way down the page comparing a Unibody Aluminium Mac with a MacBook pro and the Unibody screen does look quite bad.
http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

Like I say ergonomics are important too, the later models have the big glass touchpad which I guess is better than the one with the button at the bottom?

Looks like the unibody aluminium might be the one to avoid, so perhaps it comes down to the square vs the rounded white models? Rounded body 2009 could be a good bet.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Just found this about the 2008 (square) model...

"To see the full quality of the display, users have to be looking almost directly at the screen; while relatively minor shifts in position don't ruin the image, the difference is clear. This is especially true for vertical angles, as colors quickly wash out and invert with anything less than a level view.

The decision is livable for basic use. However, on a $1,100-plus system, the LCD feels like an unnecessary throwback to an earlier era, especially in light of the Air's much better display. An LED backlight may still be too costly, but the Air's display itself is better quality even without the extra lighting. If any one component needs urgent improvement on the MacBook, it's a more modern display."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, thanks for that. I wish apple used different model names as its hard to talk about the models when they are all called Macbook!

It's really not as confusing as it seems. Just something to get used to.:)

I've had a look at the benchmarks and there is very little difference between the scores for all 3.

Yes…the CPU scores are pretty similar for all three. But the 2010 MacBook has the better GPU (graphics hardware). The 2009 model has a max ram of 8gig (which isn't too bad). But the 2010 has a max ram of 16gig. You may never upgrade it to 16gig…but you never know. Thus nice to have the option.:)

A 2010 model is out of budget and is only a few % faster.

Is the 2010 Unibody MacBook really that much more than a 2009 Unibody MacBook. Given the age…I would think that there wouldn't be more than A $50 price difference.

I plan to run an older OS and add an SSD, so should be quick enough. A friend used to have one of the square shaped ones and used it for music production so any of the 2.26 or 2.4ghz cpus will be fine for my needs which are video watching, office software and web browsing, maybe a bit of DJing.

Yes…it will probably be ok. Was your friend using older app versions or newer app versions. If you run app versions that are "vintage" to the computer…then it should run ok. But if you run newer versions of the apps you need. They may require a newer OS version…and the newer OS & newer apps may "tax" the hardware more. And…older app versions are hard to find.

Like I say ergonomics are important too, the later models have the big glass touchpad which I guess is better than the one with the button at the bottom?

The newer trackpad (without the separate button)…I think is capable of more trackpad "gestures" as well (the multi-fingered swipe stuff).

Looks like the unibody aluminum might be the one to avoid, so perhaps it comes down to the square vs the rounded white models? Rounded body 2009 could be a good bet.

I would avoid the white "square" MacBook as well. It has the lowest max ram (6gig)…and to get 6gig is expensive. We should probably also verify exactly what model square white MacBook this is. Since if it's a 2008 model...it would also have the oldest & slowest GPU of the three models mentioned. And most importantly…has a max. OS version of 10.7.5 (current OS is 10.11).

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree 100% with Nick's advice.

Just one note. If you get a Square Macbook do not get anything older than the LATE 2007 model as the ones before that can only take 3GB RAM. Like Nick said the newer Square ones at least take 6GB RAM.

Personally keep looking for the newer one (Especially the 2010. Way better graphics chipset, 8+ GB RAM. Any OSX newer than Snow Leopard really will benefit from the more RAM. The Trackpad is a LOT better as is the LED display.

I have worked with a lot of Macbooks including repair of many for friends so have used most of them. I own a LATE 2007 and the display is still the old CFL tube. the LED Backlit one is so much clearer with better viewing angle it's not funny.

C

chas_m

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I would **STRONGLY** suggest the mid-2012 unibody MacBook Pro as the best used portable Mac to buy*. It is highly expandable, has nearly all the latest tech (Thunderbolt, USB 3, Bluetooth 4) and is essentially the same machine being sold TODAY as the 2015 non-Retina 13-inch, but with an optical drive and thus a bit more weight (though you can remove that yourself later and put in a second drive).

I have upgraded the RAM in mine to 16GB (more than the MacBooks you're looking at can handle), and replaced the optical and main drive with SSDs. This thing is a fantastic workhorse and I expect I will get a full five years out of it at better than out-of-the-box performance. I'm not sure what the going price for it is, but even replacing the battery (if needed) is easy. This is the one you want if you want one that will last a while.

*EDIT: or newer if one comes available at a great price, obviously. :)

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, thanks all for the comments.

I haven't used macs since about 1998 so things have changed a lot!

What I have noticed is that Apple are very good at upselling. I can see how it works though as you think I might as well spend a little more on the next model, but then it happens again and you keep going until you have spent twice as much as you originally planned!

I just want to buy a budget Mac to try them out as am using PCs at the moment. I'm writing this on an old Dell laptop which cost only £75 used and weighs about 1.1kg and came with an SSD drive from the factory, I cant really justify spending 4 or 5 times that much on a Mac just to try it out.

Is the screen the same on the 2009 and the 2010 models?

It seems the 2010 models go for the same price as the 2009 ones which is odd. A good thing though. The 2012 Macbook pro is 2.5x the price of the models I'm looking at. I also noticed that the Macbook Air from the same period with a really slow CPU (Core Duo 1.6ghz) goes for nearly twice the price, that is a bit crazy.

It maybe that if I love the OS etc I will buy a Macbook Pro but just want to dip my toes in the water so to speak!

Do the 2009/2010 models support having dual displays eg having a large monitor connected and then having the Macbook screen as the 2nd monitor? And can I use the wireless keyboard and mouse with them?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will check for you on the screen on the 2009 Vs 2010.

Wireless keyboard and Mouse work just fine. Apples keyboards and mice are all Bluetooth which I prefer but I have used Logitech and Microsoft with no issues.

I really feel you will love the OS. I run both Windows and OSX here and have for the last 15 years and prefer OSX for 95% of my work.

All those Macbooks have a connector for External Display. You will need an adapter but can find one used cheap on Ebay. I for example have a 22" display that i use as a 2nd display with either my Macbook 2007 late or my iMac. Works great.

OP
D
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I have to say this is a really good forum!

I'm planning to live "off grid" in camper van for a while next year and needed a low power computer to work on as I sell stuff on ebay. I thought of getting an old Mac Mini but the laptops are almost the same price and obviously more versatile. If I can use it as my main pc as well as a laptop by plugging in a big monitor and keyboard and mouse it will be perfect.

Its windows 10 that is making me change, I don't like the feel of it much. Also there is no way to turn off updates and that will kill my mobile data usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
Cool, thanks. I have to say this is a really good forum!

I'm planning to live "off grid" in camper van for a while next year and needed a low power computer to work on as I sell stuff on ebay. I thought of getting an old Mac Mini but the laptops are almost the same price and obviously more versatile. If I can use it as my main pc as well as a laptop by plugging in a big monitor and keyboard and mouse it will be perfect.

Its windows 10 that is making me change, I don't like the feel of it much. Also there is no way to turn off updates and that will kill my mobile data usage.

I've worked with external monitors with Mac all the time and the battery will drain slightly more with an external monitor connected. Just keep that in mind. And also with a secondary keyboard and mouse.

If your primary use is for Internet stuff, just go with an older version of Macbook that has at least 4 gb of ram. You don't need a powerful Mac for your intentions. GL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
I would defo recommend the macbook 7.1. Im a student myself and it really fits my needs. I use it all the time with a second display to watch movies on, Also battery life is pretty good for this model. Before this I used to have an 2008 aluminum macbook and the screen has a lot more gloss to it (Can be pretty annoying if used outside) So in your shoes I really recommend the Macbok 7.1! Greets Quinten

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to drag this thread up again. I'm a bit confused, was going to bid on a 2010 Macbook on ebay but you guys say this will take 8gb + of RAM, Apple say 4gb max?

Mid 2010 specs https://support.apple.com/kb/SP584?locale=en_GB

Looks like the only difference between this and the 2009 model is the 2.4 instead of 2.26hgz cpu and the newer graphics chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
Hi, sorry to drag this thread up again. I'm a bit confused, was going to bid on a 2010 Macbook on ebay but you guys say this will take 8gb + of RAM, Apple say 4gb max?

Mid 2010 specs https://support.apple.com/kb/SP584?locale=en_GB

Looks like the only difference between this and the 2009 model is the 2.4 instead of 2.26hgz cpu and the newer graphics chip.

Yes apple officially supports 4Gb but this system can take up to 16Gb as is proven before
And besides I would defo recommend the 2010 Model over the 2009, Better cpu,gpu and a better battery

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@dunkuk The discrepancy in maximum memory specs is not unusual. Apple's maximums reflect the capacity of a certain chip at the time the computer in question was introduced. Over time higher density chips with the same specifications may become available/ Some third party vendors such as OWC and Crucial test these configurations and update the information accordingly. Apple apparently does not update these numbers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.