Where is Recovery Partition 10.10.2 Located

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I never saw any mention of Recovery in the literature, and it does not appear if I invoke Startup Disk from System Preferences. I assume it is in a hidden partition on my internal Macintosh HD. Does it stay current, or does it revert to factory install and defaults?

How does Recovery differ from the repair/reinstall capabilities of the Yosemite clone I created using SuperDuper and/or the bootable drive I created using DiskMaker X?

Reaction score
And you wont see it under Startup Disk. You need to hold Option at startup (Most people say Command-R but I've never gotten that to work for me).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And you wont see it under Startup Disk. You need to hold Option at startup (Most people say Command-R but I've never gotten that to work for me).

Both methods work for me. If Command + R isn't working for you, then something is amiss.

Reaction score
Son of a ...
Well just tried it just for giggles and it worked. It's either a 'whenever it feels like it' thing or, well, lets just say it's **** to get old :(
Then again. maybe I'm just impatient. It takes a while to boot.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Command + R should work though I have seen many sites recommending Option + R as the method. In this document Apple suggests Command + R as the key choice to use.

@durango that same document shows how to determine which version of the OS is installed if you use the recovery partition.
If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer.
If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased.

A bootable clone will install whatever version was on the machine the last time a clone was made.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Thanks to all members above for the education. This is proving to be a great forum in which to participate......lots of knowledge embedded here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.