Where is iTunes Libary

Reaction score
I'm running Mavericks and iTunes 11.3. I would like to change the iTunes Library id so that I can move some legally purchased music from iTunes to my iPhone 4S.
I have enabled view hidden files but still am unable to locate it. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm running Mavericks and iTunes 11.3. I would like to change the iTunes Library id so that I can move some legally purchased music from iTunes to my iPhone 4S.
I have enabled view hidden files but still am unable to locate it. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Hello - just for starters, go to the iTunes menu bar and select Preferences -> Advanced (see the pic attached from my iTunes Preferences 'Advanced' dialog box) - my iTunes library is in the usual location, i.e. in my Music folder (in Finder) - unless you have changed yours to elsewhere (and options include an external HD), then that should provide the information needed - let us know - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.38.32 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Why can't you move that music as it is .
What makes you think you need to change the iTunes Library ID ( whatever that is ? )

You are jumping to the " solution space " without identifying the " problem space ".

Cheers ... McBie

M

MacInWin

I'm with McBie. What's the problem you are trying to solve? Before messing with the innards of iTunes library, can we get done what you want to get done? I have multiple albums I bought through sources other than the Apple store that are in iTunes and sync just fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, I'm happy to put aside the issue of the Library. The real issue is that I want to move legally purchased music from iTunes to my iPhone and it appears that iTunes will first wipe off the existing music on my phone, which is not replaceable. (The music on my phone was d/l from my old Windows machine.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Maybe you can sync your music from the iphone into iTunes first, then re-sync from iTunes to the iPhone.
I am not an expert , but I would try that first.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
McBie, presently the phone is synced to my old computer. To sync to my mac, all music on the phone will be erased.

Rust Proof Corn, most music on the phone are live Grateful Dead shows legally acquired. I'm beginning to think that I have to accept erasing music on the phone and sync to the Mac; then hope to be able to transfer music from Mac to the phone.

Perhaps this is the reason people jailbreak their phones. I think the difficulty in music transfer has been set up to force people to buy music from the Apple store. I have hundreds of legally purchased cds that at present can't be put on my iPhone.

M

MacInWin

Why not copy the tracks from your old computer to your new one, import them into iTunes, then sync your phone? That way all your tracks are on the new machine, which you want, and your phone keeps everything without the hazards of jailbreaking.

OP
R
Reaction score
Finally the issue was resolved by calling Apple Paid Support. ($19.95)
Spoke with a tech for over an hour who tried everything he knew but was unable to resolve the issue. He finally requested additional Apple help, (I assume next level up) and came back with a fix for me. I'm unable to describe the entire process as I clicked on numerous options and settings, un-clicked them, and re-clicked them over and over; like being on a merry-go-round. Contrary to all popular thinking, nothing on my phone was erased and I can now manage the music quite normally; just the way one is supposed to.

In two weeks I will be getting an iPhone 6 so my fingers are crossed; but at least I'll have free support for a while...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm unable to describe the entire process as I clicked on numerous options and settings, un-clicked them, and re-clicked them over and over; like being on a merry-go-round.

Too bad. Might have been info others may have found useful. Of course you did pay $19.95 for it!;)

Congrats on finding a solution.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Nick,

My friend. You totally missed the point. The reason I can't detail the procedure is that I must have selected and de-selected numerous options, countless times. I started and shut down iTunes and rebooted my iPhone several times. I'd be happy to post screen shots of my final settings to save anyone from repeating the process. It's sad that Apple produces flawed software and that after purchasing their hardware we must then pay to get it to work as advertised. The encounter with Apple paid support was via telephone. If it were a chat session, I would have included it with my post.

C

chas_m

The only thing "flawed" here is your assumptions.

There was nothing wrong with iTunes software in this case. Your iPhone was tied to another machine. This is done *very specifically* to prevent people from pirating music and picking up malware by copying music willy-nilly with every computer hither and yon. Without this fundamental protection, not only would you likely have widespread iPhone malware (of which there isn't any now), but there would be no iTunes Store, since it operates under license from the record companies.

What was done by Apple support is essentially the same thing we were advising; they likely had you make a backup of the data on the iPhone, then erase and reset the iPhone, and then transfer the backup back onto it, now under the ownership of your present machine. Possibly they had you put the phone in "manual mode," copy the songs from it (like a thumb drive) to iTunes, then erase and re-sync, essentially a slightly different route to the same procedure.

Just remember that your iPhone is "tied" to a particular machine, and next time you change machines all you need to do is transfer the iTunes library first and you'll have a very smooth transfer experience.

M

MacInWin

I'm curious since you didn't say, what failed in the suggestion I made in post #9? That's worked for everyone else to whom I have recommended it.

OP
R
Reaction score
MacInWin, nothing failed in your suggestion. I no longer have access to the old computer.

OP
R
Reaction score
Chas_m,

The only thing "flawed" here is your assumptions.
Beg to differ…
No my assumptions are totally correct. The error in the software is in the design; which makes it restrictive and illogical. If you read forum posts there are endless complaints relating to the extreme difficulty in managing music.

This is done *very specifically* to prevent people from pirating music and picking up malware by copying music willy-nilly with every computer hither and yon.
No, the software was designed to prevent competition and to create the need to purchase from the Apple Store. Most of the world is completely honest and will respect publishing rights. Those that are dishonest will always find a way to beat the system. (It isn't really hard to do.)

Without this fundamental protection, not only would you likely have widespread iPhone malware (of which there isn't any now), but there would be no iTunes Store, since it operates under license from the record companies.
Wrong again. Fundamental protection from malware is built into OS X not into iTunes. As for the iTunes store, you are making an assumption without logic or factual proof.

What was done by Apple support is essentially the same thing we were advising; they likely had you make a backup of the data on the iPhone, then erase and reset the iPhone, and then transfer the backup back onto it, now under the ownership of your present machine. Possibly they had you put the phone in "manual mode," copy the songs from it (like a thumb drive) to iTunes, then erase and re-sync, essentially a slightly different route to the same procedure.
I told he Apple tech that all the information on the iPhone was expendable. Initially I was hoping to retain the data on the phone but after repeated failure at applying a ‘fix’ I was more than willing to wipe the phone clean to expedite the process. Truth be told, he was at a loss to explain the reason for the difficulty I was having.

Finally be aware that at one point I loaded a (legally purchased) cd to iTunes and was unable to move it to my iPhone; clearly having nothing to do with prevention of malware or pirating.

M

MacInWin

@robpopper, I would take exception to your statement
No, the software was designed to prevent competition and to create the need to purchase from the Apple Store. Most of the world is completely honest and will respect publishing rights. Those that are dishonest will always find a way to beat the system. (It isn't really hard to do.)
You do not need to buy from the Apple store. I have music I have downloaded from Amazon quite happily residing on my MBP and syncing to my iPad and iPhone. I also have ripped music from CD's in the same category. So the software is designed to accommodate sources other than the Apple Store. I also suggest that your comment about people being honest is a bit pollyanna in outlook. I used to sell software until I realized that the piracy rate was 900%. Yes, for every licensed copy of my software there were 9 other pirated copies, and those pirates expected me to support their stolen copies just as if they had paid for them. I left the software selling business because of those "honest" people. From my experience "most" of the people are totally disrespectful of publishing rights when it comes to software.

If you were unable to rip a CD using iTunes and sync to your iPhone, something was wrong with your installation of iTunes. I've done exactly that hundreds of times.

OP
R
Reaction score
MacinWin,

Sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate experience in the software business. Modern software can and should be written to prevent piracy. No argument from me. I started with computers when MSDOS or IBMDOS was dominant. Much of the software at that time and for years to come was released heavily flawed and didn't work as advertised.

If you were unable to rip a CD using iTunes and sync to your iPhone, something was wrong with your installation of iTunes. I've done exactly that hundreds of times.
I can't imagine how my installation of iTunes was a "user" error. Doesn't it just download from Apple and "self install"? Again, I'm new to OS X so perhaps I'm incorrect in this assumption. In any event it all works now and I shudder to think what may happen later this month when a receive my iPhone 6.

Perhaps I laboring the point, but it took an Apple tech countless tries to correct the problem and in the end he couldn't tell me what was wrong with the initial set up.

M

MacInWin

robpopper, I started with CP/M before MSDOS came along, but we won't argue timelines. :)

I didn't mean to imply that it was "user" error in the (Verb) installation, all I said what there was something wrong with the (noun) installation in the sense that at your location, on your machine, something was wrong with that particular copy of iTunes. As designed, iTunes can rip and import tracks from CDs and accept tracks from other sources like Amazon. And yes, it should have installed properly, as it has done for millions of users. The faulty (noun) installation was what took the Apple tech many tries to fix. If he/she didn't actually fix it, then you may have more problems. If you decide to upgrade your OS to Yosemite, I would suggest backing up, then doing a full nuke and pave installation, reformatting the drive completely and installing the software "clean" and then restoring from your backup. That approach should eliminate any anomaly in your (noun) installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.