Where in the world...

Reaction score
I would like to start a discussion about purchasing a new mac...

We live in a world were you can get things shipped from virtually anywhere in the world in a 7-10 days, I have heard a few people say that it may be cheaper to buy abroad and ship to the UK...?

Has anybody bought a new Mac from abroad and had it shipped to the UK?
Also is there any significant saving by buying outside the UK?
If I were to buy a machine from apple in the states would I still be able to take it to apple here in the UK if I needed assistance?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This question has been asked and answered before. About the only way you'll save money by buying abroad is if you take a trip here to the US and buy a machine and then hand carry it back home. Otherwise the customs tax and VAT will offset any savings.

Another way is you have a friend who will be traveling to the US and would be willing to carry a machine back for you.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for that.

The US is the cheapest option then?
I had planned to take a trip myself at some point this year on business, if I plan it right I may make it so that I can bring my new machine back with me.

C

chas_m

Given the PRESENT exchange rate, yes you could almost pay for the plane ticket with your savings, particularly if you buy it in a sales-tax-free state like New Hampshire.

Be aware that you will STILL have to comply with UK Customs regulations regarding customs taxes and VAT. Attempting to avoid this can lead to some *serious* consequences that will evaporate the "savings" many times over.

OP
S
Reaction score
interesting,

any thoughts on buying from a retailer at the airport?
I have heard of people doing so and buying laptops 'duty free' from a retailer inside airport departure lounge.
would that be a way around the dreaded UK VAT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I've never seen a duty free that sold macs before... and having spent countless hours passing time in duty free shop the one thing I found was that the prices I paid for stuff in the US were still cheaper than the prices I would pay for just about anything in a duty free shop. I know people that lived in other countries that thought they were getting a good deal and I'm sure they did on some alcohol and tobacco products, but on other goods it never made much sense.

Best bet is to have someone buy you one in the US... have them buy a bag for it and then mail the box to you with something else in it ( so it is viewed as a packing box by UK customs )... if they bring the laptop into the UK as if it were their own computer in a laptop bag it wont raise customs flags.. the flags go off when you start traveling with new electronics still in the retail boxes.

The only downside is you wont be the first one to open the box, and you'll have a little risk of a scratch or dent if they aren't careful or don't get a good laptop bag to protect it.

This method will work in just about any country... Brazil is the one where you could still get nailed as they do random checks and if something looks new they will sometimes realize what is going on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Thomas. Stay away from airport duty free shops if at all possible. Those shops are tourist oriented and prices are usually higher than outside.

If you plan on traveling to the US and come through a large major airport, say Kennedy International in NY, it's only about a 30 minute ride to the nearest Apple store. And since you have a passport from the UK, you will NOT have to pay NY city or state sales tax. (which by the way, is around 10%)

Do as Thomas suggested: Buy a notebook computer bag, place your new Mac in the bag, hang it over your shoulder and take it on home that way. You might have to do a bit of explaining to the customs folks in the UK, but as long as it's not in the original packing you should be OK.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you plan on traveling to the US and come through a large major airport, say Kennedy International in NY, it's only about a 30 minute ride to the nearest Apple store. And since you have a passport from the UK, you will NOT have to pay NY city or state sales tax. (which by the way, is around 10%)

It's more like 8.75% :p

It's still better than CA, where the state tax alone is 8.25%, so when you add in local taxes you can be paying over 10% :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.