When shutdown ibook should we should the power down?

M

mac*

When shutdown ibook should we shut the power down as well?(i mean disconnect the ibook from the power adpater), or just leave it with a green lights on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can leave it plugged in, but why are you shutting it down? All Macs are built to goto Sleep and that's the preferred method over powering it down. I always just put my iBook to Sleep when I'm not using it and it's always been fine :)

OP
M

mac*

schweb said:
You can leave it plugged in, but why are you shutting it down? All Macs are built to goto Sleep and that's the preferred method over powering it down. I always just put my iBook to Sleep when I'm not using it and it's always been fine :)

do you think sleep for long time is not good for ibook?
correct me please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In Sleep mode, the system uses very little electricity. The contents of RAM are maintaned, but the CPU, networking, and hard disk stop operating.

Mac OS X, being Unix, is designed to "never" be shut down. (Some Unix systems have been known to work for years without ever being shut down.) The only times an OS X machine should be shut down are when
- The machine will be stored for weeks without being used
- The macine is at risk of electrical disruption (Hurricane Frances, anyone?)
- The machine needs to be moved (except laptops, which have batteries)

To answer mac*'s question...if you do want to shut down your iBook, it's probably best to leave it plugged in afterward. If a laptop is left unplugged for a very long time (six months or so) its battery could become completely drained. This would hurt its ability to hold a charge.

OP
P

prophet

Would it be bad for the battery to leave it plugged in, and turned on for long periods of time, only to take it out when you need it? Would it lose it's capacity, or burn up quicker or anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Some people I know with PC laptops take their batteries out if they're going to have the computer sitting on a desk for a while. It does save the battery life a little, but as far as I can tell, not a lot - my iBook is a year old and I treat the battery badly yet it still goes for a good 3 hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.