when restart 4 to 5 windows pop up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Everytime I restart my Mac, I get 4 to 5 windows pop up and had to shut 4 off and leave on what I want.. The window pops up like Finders, Mail, iTune, messages... How do I stop this from doing it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> make sure your user name is selected then click on Login Items.

You can click on the “-“ key on the left at the bottom of the box to delete any items you do not want loading and being open. Clicking “hide” will still load them just minimize them.

Make sure to leave the items you want to open - like in my case CCC User Agent and Backup & Sync for my google backup - alone so they still work.

Hopefully that will fix it!

Lisa

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> make sure your user name is selected then click on Login Items.

You can click on the “-“ key on the left at the bottom of the box to delete any items you do not want loading and being open. Clicking “hide” will still load them just minimize them.

Make sure to leave the items you want to open - like in my case CCC User Agent and Backup & Sync for my google backup - alone so they still work.

Hopefully that will fix it!

Lisa

I check and its only 5 of them and they are my usuals.. anything else causing that
Thank You Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think this might be a different setting.

When you choose to Close Down or Restart your Mac, a window opens giving you 59 seconds for this to occur automatically; or you can choose Cancel or do it now.

The window also has a checkbox "Reopen windows when logging back in". Uncheck that Box. That will stop these windows appearing when you next start up your Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, check the icons in the Dock for those apps, and make sure they are not setup to "open at login". To check, right click on the icon in the Dock and select Options.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea Bob. I didn't think of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both Ian and Bob have great ideas. Now hopefully one or both work!

Lisa

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, check the icons in the Dock for those apps, and make sure they are not setup to "open at login". To check, right click on the icon in the Dock and select Options.

Yes thats what Lisa said above and I answered back. 10 min ago Not sure how it happens but looks like screen shut off and when I click it back on I get 7 windows. pop just 20 min ago..had to closed all individually

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes thats what Lisa said above and I answered back. 10 min ago Not sure how it happens but looks like screen shut off and when I click it back on I get 7 windows. pop just 20 min ago..had to closed all individually
Nope, that's not what Lisa said.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ron

Have you followed the advice in posts #4 and #5? These are complimentary in a sense.

One makes sure that all windows currently open when you shut down do NOT open when you reboot. The other ensures that apps don't open at login; although that should have been covered in Lisa's post #2 - but it's best to follow through on all 3 suggestions.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ron

Have you followed the advice in posts #4 and #5? These are complimentary in a sense.

One makes sure that all windows currently open when you shut down do NOT open when you reboot. The other ensures that apps don't open at login; although that should have been covered in Lisa's post #2 - but it's best to follow through on all 3 suggestions.

Ian
Ian, I have noticed "Login items" are usually added when an app is installed or through their individual Settings/Preferences.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Bob. I'm sure that's true. Of course some people add a login for a specific reason and then forget about it.

Hopefully, if the OP follows through on the three suggestions offered, he should have resolution. Fingers crossed.

Ian

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On User/Group, click on Login Option... I set my AUTOMATIC LOGIN TO OFF.. Is that ok Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 11.38.51 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can. I don’t think it will change the auto loading apps. I have my automatic login set to off. I also just have Show the sleep, restart, and shutdown buttons checked. The rest are not checked but that is just a preference.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On User/Group, click on Login Option... I set my AUTOMATIC LOGIN TO OFF.. Is that ok View attachment 31609

Ron, I don't think has anything to do with login issues nor any of the three options offered to you in the previous posts.

What you have turned off just means that you have to enter a PW when you start up the Mac. Which is fine. But your difficulty remains.

Follow the 3 advices and I reckon your problem will go away:)

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have automatic login set to off. In fact, other than for testing that feature, I've never turned it on. What it does s essentially let a user log into the Mac while bypassing the login screen going straight to the desktop. . That's convenient but it means that anyone who gets hold of the machine and reboots will be logged into whatever user account you set to auto login with the same rights they would have if they would have they entered the password..

If someone wants to use auto login I suggest that they use a standard account for that and not auto login to an admin account. When you auto login to an admin account you are still challenged for a password on most tasks.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I have as start up Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 3.01.59 PM.png below:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this your Macbook Pro listed in your specs? I ask as I was curious as to how you are shutting down. Are you actually shutting it down by clicking on the Apple and selecting shutdown or just closing the lid so it goes to sleep? If you are just closing the lid then when you open it back up all the apps previously opened will still be open.

Just a thought for clarification.

Lisa

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this your Macbook Pro listed in your specs? I ask as I was curious as to how you are shutting down. Are you actually shutting it down by clicking on the Apple and selecting shutdown or just closing the lid so it goes to sleep? If you are just closing the lid then when you open it back up all the apps previously opened will still be open.

Just a thought for clarification.

Lisa

Yes but first I clear anything on screen then shut down but sometimes I just close it if I want to return when I m ready to open again . Had this laptop for 8 yrs and doing the same thing I always do til now then it just started to act weird..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doh!!! Let's call that my Homer Simpson moment for the day. That never occurred to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.