• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When Digital Optic audio cable with Toslink adapter doesn't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Recently I re-organizeed our TV, stereo, entertainment system and was left with a spare digital-optical cable which I thought I could use with the 1st Generation AirPort Express which my wife had been using airplay and possibly get better digital sound. So I purchased a Toslink adapter to add io the digital optical cable that was then plugged into the 1st Generation AirPort Expres, and the other end into the Yamaha stereo optical Input port, and set that port to be used by the Yamaha receiver. Unfortunately, it does not work, and I cannot get any sound out of the Yamaha receiver.

Previously, the 1st Generation AirPort Express Headphone's jack had been connected to the Yamaha receiver by a headphone jack and a RCA connector on the appropriate port of the Yamaha receiver, and the airplay it worked fine.

Double-checking the specs on the 1st Generation AirPort Express confirmed that its headphone mini-jack also supported any Toslink type connection and digital-optical cable.

And is that "digital" set up really going to be much better for Airplay sound (Spotify etc. oldies music etc) for general background music listening. Maybe I should just go back and connect the analog connectors and cable. At least it worked!!!

Can any of you audio experts suggest any possible solution or reason that the above setup using the Toslink adapter should not work and is it even worth trying to get it to work???

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

- Patrick
=======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BUMP...

Hmmm...??? No audio experts around with any sort of suggestion or solutions???

Otherwise, I shall just have to reconnect the old analog connector between the Airport Express 1st generation and our Yamaha 5.1 Stereo receiver. At least it worked, but I was hoping I might be able to get better sound out of the setup. But I don't know if my old ears would be able to tell if there would be any difference, but my wife does not need or wear hearing aids and she is the one who would enjoy the better music.

TIA for any help or suggestions...

- Patrick
=======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When Digital Optic audio cable with Toslink adapter doesn't work — FIXED

Isn't Thanksgiving extra nice when a visiting son and his wife come to visit and also bring a pre-prepared Thanksgiving luncheon for six related family members and also helps fix this audio problem we were experiencing?

The subtle suggestion and piece of information from a 'net user I discovered helped fix the problem that explained the digital output from the Apple Express provides a much lower output for the receiver to use than the analog output.

The solution was to turn up the volume on the Yamaha receiver quite substantially and well beyond normal for it to use the digital input signal and produce a decent 5.1 sound effect.

My wife now has a nicer working sound system for her background music.

A nice Thanksgiving gift fix, and Thanksgiving Greetings to all. And maybe the solution and some help to any others that come across the same problem.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on the fix. I'll admit that one had me stumped. I have a Yamaha receiver but my setup isn't using optical connections. I'd like to move in that direction so I'll have to file that one away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
When Digital Optic audio cable with Toslink adapter doesn't work — FIXED

Isn't Thanksgiving extra nice when a visiting son and his wife come to visit and also bring a pre-prepared Thanksgiving luncheon for six related family members and also helps fix this audio problem we were experiencing?

The subtle suggestion and piece of information from a 'net user I discovered helped fix the problem that explained the digital output from the Apple Express provides a much lower output for the receiver to use than the analog output.

The solution was to turn up the volume on the Yamaha receiver quite substantially and well beyond normal for it to use the digital input signal and produce a decent 5.1 sound effect.

My wife now has a nicer working sound system for her background music.

A nice Thanksgiving gift fix, and Thanksgiving Greetings to all. And maybe the solution and some help to any others that come across the same problem.

- Patrick
=======
Glad you got it sorted out. Just be careful if you change to any other feed on the receiver as that high volume will blow you out. I find BT audio in my car requires a higher volume to be heard well, then when I forget and switch directly to broadcast radio the volume hurts my ears. I'm learning to take the volume down FIRST, and then switch sources.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted out. Just be careful if you change to any other feed on the receiver as that high volume will blow you out.

Thanks for the heads up warning Jake.

Actually, that was one of the things that I was quite concerned about and did not want to happen. Luckily we are using an old Logitech Harmony Remote Control and it controls the volume settings very well for any other activity it activities.

I must admit that it has been one of the best devices I have ever purchased, and I just hope it continues to work well.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the heads up warning Jake.

Actually, that was one thing that I was quite concerned about and did not want to happen. Luckily we are using an old Logitech Harmony Remote Control, and it controls the volume settings very well for any other activity it activities.

I must admit that it has been one of the best devices I have ever purchased, and I hope it continues to work well.

- Patrick
=======
I have one of the Logitech remotes as well. I l9ike it but find that sometimes it does not work as well with my Yamaha as I'd like. The IR blaster does not seem to be as strong as on some of the remotes from my original gear. Their software needs to be updated as well. The software I have is still 32-bit.

Here's a thought for you that might help prevent the volume issues Jake brought up. I can't test this now, but this should be possible with most of the programmable Harmony remotes. For activities that use the feed with higher volume, leave those steps as they are now. For activities requiring starting from a different feed/input, start those activities with a keystroke that activates the mute button or lowers the volume.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Slydude
QUOTE="Slydude, post: 1864698, member: 131855"]
I have one of the Logitech remotes as well. I l9ike it but find that sometimes it does not work as well with my Yamaha as I'd like. [/QUOTE]

My Logitech remote software also says it does not directly or fully support my Yamaha receiver yet I found I could add an additional action in the software setup that seems to work well. Not exactly user obvious I will admit, but it does work for at least two optional extra inputs I need.

So far the sound levels for our various Logitech remote's Activities are all working as we expect.

Thanks for your comments.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had something similar with my setup. SWMBO does not use the Yamaha with the TV in part because I've never gotten things working as seamlessly as we'd like. Now that we have a soundbar, I think she'd like for me to get rid of it.

In checking the Logitech site, I've seen quite a few hiccups with their Yamaha support. Most of them have some workaround. As you've discovered, some of these workarounds are not obvious. In my case, we discovered that the stereo does not need to be powered on to change inputs—an important thing to know when watching TV while SWMBO is napping on the couch.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When Digital Optic audio cable with Toslink adapter doesn't work — FIXED —— Not Quite

Well, one problem fixed and another one emerges.

As I mentioned, I got the music Airplay to work using the Airport Express (1st gen) and a digital audio cable connected to the Yamaha Receiver, but unfortunately, the music plays back with stuttering and audio dropouts.

A Google search of the problem provides all kinds of hits and "me toos", but no real solution that I have yet found.

The problem continues to exists when using our iDevices and/or our iMacs and regardless of music source, usually either iTunes or Spotify etc.

Any audio gurus out there have a practical suggestion for me that might fix the problem???

I guess one solution will be to go back to using the original analog headphone connection and analog cables we were using that had no sign of stuttering or audio dropouts. It won't really matter that the audio will not be 5.1 or higher resolution as the music is only used for background listening.

Bummer... I thought I had the problem fixed...

- Patrick
=======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When Digital Optic audio cable with Toslink adapter doesn't work — FIXED —— Not Quite. Maybe now!!!

Well maybe this might be my last post here if hopefully the last fix actually worked which seems to be the case.

What I actually ended up doing was unplugging the Apple Express digital cable from the Yamaha Receiver DTV Digital import port and connecting it to its digital optical CD input port, then changed the Yamaha receiver input port accordingly.

So far, the skipping and dropouts have stopped, and we have a decent digital surround sound happening Via my wife's IPad Airplay.

What I found really bizarre was that the Yamaha receiver manual Implied that the CD connection used an analog signal and did not try converting it. That seemed to be complete BS to me, but what the heck, why not give it a try!!! So far it seems to have worked!!! Who would have guessed???

So it may be a solution for all the others who have been having the same problem. Chang the digital input connection to fix the problem. I have no idea if all Yamaha receivers work the same way.

Now I have to hope the Digital sound from the TV won't be screwed up and I will just have to change the receiver input for it.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no idea if all Yamaha receivers work the same way.

Nice tip Patrick. I guess I should break out the manual for my Yamaha receiver and check. I mostly use the receiver for music and reception of FM stations.

Although now with 100s of music genres available from my cable provider and also Sirius XM, I rarely if ever turn on the Yamaha any more.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, this whole entertainment system has become a patience gobbling PITA and frustrating experience.

My wife now tells me that there is now no audio from the receiver when watching TV even though all the proper connections have been made and the correct inputs selected for the Harmony Remote to use.

I'll get back to that after I finish with some problem solving with the newer LED replacement headlamps I had installed on my wife's 2006 Nissan X-Trail SUV that work well, but now the daylight running lamps don't work!!! They normally are provided a lower voltage to the high beam when the car is running, and the headlights and the emergency break Off. There is no sign of flickering, which would be a "normal" problem.

The similar previous LED, Halogen replacement lamps I had installed worked fine, as did the daytime running lights. Gheese!!! So What is the problem????

Now I discover there is a daytime driving light module that might be involved. What was wrong with good old-fashioned light switches, or even headlight dimmer switches on the floor for that matter!!!

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.