WhatsApp for Mac (?)

Reaction score
Is it possible to use WhatsApp from an MPB that's connected to the Internet via Ethernet without having to use an iPhone as an intermediary? I guess the answer is 'no'.

If push comes to shove, I can get an ancient iPhone (12.5.7) on line to enable WhatsApp. But I hate the tiny keys and would want to link to my MPB (14.1.1). I never carry the iPhone around with me. ... it just sits on a shelf at home. I don't want a new iPhone ... but there are a couple of groups that I'd like to join.

I did see somewhere that there's an Apple app that has come out (that may be coming out?) to enable people to use WhatsApp from a Mac laptop. Is this the case?

Just noticed that my phone provider says: "To use data on your phone you will need an add-on or pack." Does the use of WhatsApp require data?

Would appreciate comments on the best way forward ...

M

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
To use WhatsApp on your Mac, you have to be able to link to your WhatsApp account on an iPhone.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK thanks for that prompt reply.
But do I need to have data on my iPhone to make it work with the MPB for WhatsApp?
At present I just use this old iPhone for the occasional phone call; the provider is telling me that "to use data on my phone, I will need an add-on to my account"

At present, I can send and receive SMS messages via the iPhone as it stands ... without having to get a data add-on from the provider.

But does WhatsApp need 'mobile data' switched on in the iPhone for it to work? Fair enough if it does but otherwise I do not require data on the iPhone.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think perhaps the best way of explaining things is that a Mac is not a phone and needs a phone to communicate with the outside world.

That applies to Apple Messages, WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Facebook Messenger.

iPhones are the means of communication. In each instance, you need to download the message app you want (apart from Apple Messages which is intrinsic to the iPhone) - so download WhatsApp or any of the others (most, but not all in App store) and then sync them to the Mac. Some are easier than others in this respect.

HTH

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I have WhatsApp on my Mac, and it links accounts to my iPhone (the phone number), it does not actually connect to the phone, but needs the phone number for the account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have WhatsApp on my Mac, and it links accounts to my iPhone (the phone number), it does not actually connect to the phone, but needs the phone number for the account.
Are you sure? If my phone is switched off WhatsApp on my mac does not run and gives me a message to connect to phone.

OP
M
Reaction score
I think perhaps the best way of explaining things is that a Mac is not a phone and needs a phone to communicate with the outside world.

That applies to Apple Messages, WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Facebook Messenger.

iPhones are the means of communication. In each instance, you need to download the message app you want (apart from Apple Messages which is intrinsic to the iPhone) - so download WhatsApp or any of the others (most, but not all in App store) and then sync them to the Mac. Some are easier than others in this respect.

HTH

Ian
Thanks Ian. One query outstanding.
Do I need to have "a data package" from my iPhone provider for the phone in order for it to work in conjunction with my MPB for WhatsApp?
At present, I just use this old iPhone for the occasional phone call and therefore do not have such a "data package". I never, ever, use the iPhone for anything else.
But I would like to join a couple of WhatsApp groups ... I do not want to have to fiddle with the tiny keys on the iPhone for this. And if it's necessary to get a "data package", then so be it ... I will get one.
Thanks in advance ...
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure? If my phone is switched off WhatsApp on my mac does not run and gives me a message to connect to phone.
Just opened my desktop, phone is in another room, and not connected to the Mac, and WhatsApp still works!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Do I need to have "a data package" from my iPhone provider for the phone in order for it to work in conjunction with my MPB for WhatsApp?

Well, let me put it this way. In order for an iPhone to work as a phone, you need some sort of contract with a provider. Once acquired, you can use the iPhone in all its functions including using WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger, and so forth.

I add this extra comment to the 2 entries above. The iPhone has a wide range when connected to WiFi/Bluetooth so the exact position of the iPhone doesn't matter as long as communication with the outside world is maintained. You don't have to have the iPhone in the same room to get WhatsApp or similar as long as there is a signal from the iPhone which the comport can recognise.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Not if you have WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just opened my desktop, phone is in another room, and not connected to the Mac, and WhatsApp still works!
It doesn't have to be physically connected, just via the internet(I think).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Power the phone off and test again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power the phone off and test again.
Interesting thought, so I did, iPhone powered down, and desktop WhatsApp opened, and yes it still works.

OP
M
Reaction score
With regard WhatsApp via a linked iPhone and an MBP, I got this to work and exchanged a few messages with people that I know. But ... but ... lo and behold, the very same evening, I got a stern message from WhatsApp to say that my account had been closed ... the reason given was Spam!

Cannot understand why this happened because my messages were banal and to people that I know. My a/c is now on hold while they investigate. Could it have something to do with the fact that I downloaded the WhatsApp app from the Apple Store rather than from the WhatsApp site itself? Or is the fact that I'm linking from an iPhone causing an issue?

On a different tack, it seems the addresses (mobile phone numbers) need to be those that are held in the call book of the iPhone: I don't think one can just manually enter an address (mobile number) and get this to connect. Or am I wrong?

When ... if (!) ... they reinstate my a/c, I guess I will also be able to access WhatsApp from my iPad, via the same linked iPhone..

Thanks in advance for comments.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You use your phone’s account so it is contacts on your phone, that is why it is linked to the phone account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
With regard WhatsApp via a linked iPhone and an MBP, I got this to work and exchanged a few messages with people that I know. But ... but ... lo and behold, the very same evening, I got a stern message from WhatsApp to say that my account had been closed ... the reason given was Spam!

Cannot understand why this happened because my messages were banal and to people that I know. My a/c is now on hold while they investigate. Could it have something to do with the fact that I downloaded the WhatsApp app from the Apple Store rather than from the WhatsApp site itself? Or is the fact that I'm linking from an iPhone causing an issue?

On a different tack, it seems the addresses (mobile phone numbers) need to be those that are held in the call book of the iPhone: I don't think one can just manually enter an address (mobile number) and get this to connect. Or am I wrong?

When ... if (!) ... they reinstate my a/c, I guess I will also be able to access WhatsApp from my iPad, via the same linked iPhone..

Thanks in advance for comments.

M
On the using iPad for WhatsApp query. No you can't - it doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the using iPad for WhatsApp query. No you can't - it doesn't work.
Yes, for some unknown reason my wifi only iPad will not run WhatsApp

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.