What's the best free online storage?

Reaction score
My free Dropbox account is full. I think it only holds 2GB. I tried Google Drive, but after installation I get this weird beeping sound, obviously a glitch. I read online that this has been a common problem with 10.6, which is what I'm running. Who else offers free cloud storage? I want the maximum I can get for free with storage that is reliable and secure.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My free Dropbox account is full. I think it only holds 2GB. I tried Google Drive, but after installation I get this weird beeping sound, obviously a glitch. I read online that this has been a common problem with 10.6, which is what I'm running. Who else offers free cloud storage? I want the maximum I can get for free with storage that is reliable and secure.

Well, the statement in bold above may not be easily available. Plus, you have provided no details on your hardware & software (Mac model/year; OS installed; iDevices, etc.) and what you want to store and/or share w/ your various devices?

But I assume that you have an Apple ID? Do you have an iCloud account, which provides 5 GB of free storage - not certain that it will fulfill needs since these are not defined?

So, help us out here if you want advice; and just to be quizacle, did you ever google 'free online storage? Dave :)

Reaction score
does he have 10.6 because he said its a common problem in 10.6 but 10.6 is no longer supported so you can't use iCloud in 10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does he have 10.6 because he said its a common problem in 10.6 but 10.6 is no longer supported so you can't use iCloud in 10.6

OOPS! Completely overlooked the mention of 10.6 - so you're right, of course; maybe time to upgrade to a newer OS? For the OP, checkout the requirements HERE. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Am I the only paranoid guy around here? I'd NEVER back anything up remotely, ****, I don't even know what the cloud actually IS or where it resides. Google drive? Not in a million years. Their entire reason to EXIST is to sort and disseminate information gleaned from emails or web searches. Maybe I read 1984 too many times, everything do is either encrypted or using browsers designed specifically NOT to be tracked. On my phone, Onion, on my computer White Hat Aviator. Even my search engine, no Google for me. I use DuckDuckGo. Since I started this, my junk email has pretty much stopped, by at least 95%. I KNOW what the party line is, I read their disclaimers as well, but I just don't trust them, and I never will. I honestly doubt ANY free remote storage is totally secure. You get what you pay for.

ken

Last edited:
OP
U
Reaction score
Well, the statement in bold above may not be easily available. Plus, you have provided no details on your hardware & software (Mac model/year; OS installed; iDevices, etc.) and what you want to store and/or share w/ your various devices?

But I assume that you have an Apple ID? Do you have an iCloud account, which provides 5 GB of free storage - not certain that it will fulfill needs since these are not defined?

So, help us out here if you want advice; and just to be quizacle, did you ever google 'free online storage? Dave :)

Not going to upgrade right now.
I want to just be able to back up my work files, which are mostly Word documents, though I would also like to back up pictures and imovies as well.
Of course I can Google it, but I need to know from people with experience what's most suitable for my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
That depends on how you think or care. Seen Citizenfour yet? That's the Snowden documentary. Rather disturbing. Lisa doesn't like clouds either as myself. Made my own cloud server. Now it is all on me.
;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not going to upgrade right now.
I want to just be able to back up my work files, which are mostly Word documents, though I would also like to back up pictures and imovies as well................

Well, let's start closer to home, are you backing up your computer or at least your personal files to external storage, such as a hard drive?

For myself, my wife & I both have iCloud accounts and backup our iDevices; in addition, on her iMac (as a supplement to Time Machine & Carbon Copy Cloner), I am also having her personal files backed up in the cloud using Carbonite, which is a paid service. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is he being paranoid?

No system is 100% secure. Just got to go with the odds. Odds are...your stuff is safe. But then again...company & government databases do get hacked (credit card numbers, SSN's, account numbers, phonre numbers, names, address's, etc.).

Just got to go with the odds. With each benefit...there is risk.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Services like SpiderOak, iCloud and IDrive all offer end-to-end encryption with private keys they don't hold. Stop wearing the tinfoil hat, you'll get a sunburn.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No (though you could tap into parts of it such as calendaring). There's no necessary reason to use iCloud either - most of its functionality is available elsewhere through services that are SL friendly (this is especially true if you just need online storage).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I get iCloud on OSx 10.6.8?

For more details, check Post #4 in this thread - I provided a link for this information. Dave :)

OP
U
Reaction score
So again, with my Mac 10.6.8 and a desire to have free large storage (other than Dropbox) for my documents and images, what's best?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OneDrive has a fair amount of free storage out of the box (15GB for free). That said, the client isn't supported on pre-Lion (10.7) Macs so you'd have to stick with the web client.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I say web client, I mean that you'd have to manage your files through OneDrive's web interface instead of relying on their app which monitors a folder for you and silently uploads/downloads your files as you change them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
If you have a trustworthy friend with some extra space on his hard drive, you might consider CrashPlan's free option to backup to a friend's computer. I have my ex backing up her stuff to my system and except for the regular status report it doesn't bother me at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I have my ex backing up her stuff to my system and except for the regular status report it doesn't bother me at all.

I get along pretty well with MY ex, but there are SOME lines I'm NEVER going to cross. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.