• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What’s scarier: The slaying, or the bystanders who heard and did nothing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Probably not the right place for this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
They probably couldn't find an app to call 911. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
They probably couldn't find an app to call 911. :Angry-Tongue:

Found it:
iphone.jpg

;P

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Moving temporarily - although this thread may have a short lifespan. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Very sad, and not exclusive to Apple Store employees or anyone else. In Minneapolis/St. Paul we recently had a fellow chase down, and kill an armed 20-something year old guy who was pistol whipping and robbing a lady in her mid-50's. I'd rather see more outcomes like that to be completely honest. Of course, the "Good Samaritan" is likely to have his life ruined financially and emotionally in Civil Court for intervening, even if found 100% justified and not charged criminally. The average justified shooting costs the good guy between $50-$100k. Fortunately, the police have not charged him with anything thus far.

Alleged Robber Shot, Killed By ‘Good Samaritan’ Identified « CBS Minnesota

These days it pays to go heeled, or not at all. As they say, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"... and quite often citizens are afraid of being sanctioned for getting involved.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Of course, the "Good Samaritan" is likely to have his life ruined financially and emotionally in Civil Court for intervening, even if found 100% justified and not charged criminally. The average justified shooting costs the good guy between $50-$100k. Fortunately, the police have not charged him with anything thus far.

Agreed, that is a shame. Perhaps if people like this weren't vilified, more folks would stand up and intervene in situations like this.

I love watching the 20/20 segments called "What would you do?". It never ceases to amaze me how many people are either oblivious, too lazy or too scared to intervene.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This reminds me of the toddler that got ran over by two trucks in China. She didn't get medical attention for 6 minutes while she was laying in her own blood while over a dozen passer byers walked by and did nothing.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This reminds me of the toddler that got ran over by two trucks in China. She didn't get medical attention for 6 minutes while she was laying in her own blood while over a dozen passer byers walked by and did nothing.

That article haunted me all last week. Just absolutely tragic and completely inexcusable. I didn't watch the video - because I knew I'd never be able to get out of my head. So sad.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That article haunted me all last week. Just absolutely tragic and completely inexcusable. I didn't watch the video - because I knew I'd never be able to get out of my head. So sad.

I agree.
Didn't follow the link in the first post for the same reason.

I absolutely agree about the problem of people not wanting to get involved. It isn't new, there was a major story from my much younger days about a young woman who was murdered in broad daylight on a public street in New York City (not a slam at NYC, just where it happened to occur).
Don't remember exactly when, but has to be 40 years ago.

Another problem though in the other direction is with 7 billion people on this planet and 24 hr news and internet we are inundated with tragic stories. I don't want to be insensitive to other's sufferings, but don't want my nights haunted by images of the children who burned to death in _______ (you name the city) because their parents were out doing drugs.

Reaction score
Here's one thing that I like about Louisiana. We have a law here that says that if you see someone in imminent distress you, as a private citizen, are allowed to use lethal force to intervene. We all know about the shootings in Arizona that left several dead and nearly killed that congress woman. I'm glad to know that if anything like that were to happen here, someone who had their hunting rifle with them would more than likely have taken out the shooter before the carnage got too intense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
The people who do nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
This is terrible. We have been in the middle east a few years now and many stories prevail about what you should do and should not do given a multitude of situations. "The Arabs own the road and if you hit them, regards of how or where, under their laws, it is always the foreigners fault. It is an unwritten rule as a i understand it. Another is this, If you are the last person to touch a person before they die, say in a RTA, you 'may' be held responsible under islamic law. Again, unwritten but very much inferred.

Now then, this seems absolutely absurd, but i have witnessed this first hand in Morocco. An eventually fatal RTA happened right in front of us and the urge to run and help was impeded by a bystander who said do not...

It is a unnatural thing to do nothing. I am not saying this was the case in China but maybe there is another reason other than unwilling on their part to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.