What type of Windows 7 VM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2
I am getting ready to buy a MBP. I will be dual booting using parallels and had a question about the version of Windows 7 to use.

I want to use Parallels to transfer everything from my PC to my new MBP. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate on my PC. Do I need to load Ultimate on my MBP or can I use a lesser version and still do the transfer from one to the other?

Thanks,

dc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use a less expensive version on your MBP. I would purchase a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium as that will give you all the features you need plus it won't cost as much. Keep in mind, that using Parallels is going to limit the type of Windows programs that you can run... no graphic intensive games or apps that need 3D rendering.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
You can use a less expensive version on your MBP. I would purchase a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium as that will give you all the features you need plus it won't cost as much. Keep in mind, that using Parallels is going to limit the type of Windows programs that you can run... no graphic intensive games or apps that need 3D rendering.

Regards.

if you are looking to do anything that requires 3d rendering whether gaming, cad, etc... Bootcamp runs a 100% windows driven machine. You loose the quick access as a VM will give you, so it is a trade off.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", i7 2.66G, 8G Ram, Lion 10.7.2
Thanks for the information. I will not require gaming or CAD, so I am thinking that just using a lesser version of 7 and Parallels will do the trick for me.

Thanks again for the information. Makes the decision easier.

dc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.