What to install? Newbies curiosities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 2014 13.3, 128ssd, i5
Now a new owner of MBPR 13.3 128ssd am sitting here disecting my way through apps, security software etc etc. I quickly installed spotify but now just thinking of what else.
Security-what antivirus? avast , panda , mc afee ( free normally £70 - must be a catch0 ie makes my computer slower than my old windows 7
top tips , will be geaty appreciated :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No AV software.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Dazmio!

I will add to the great information Craig & Nick gave you. You will not need anti-virus but I do recommend you add, as extensions to your browser, Adbock Plus and Ghostry. Both are free and help block so much stuff when you are on the internet. Make sure to go through the setup for Ghostry so it will block what you want. Check out Adblock's settings too, although defaults are good.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No antivirus as suggested. Further to Lisa's top recommendation, download AdBlockPlus, Ghostery and AdWareMedic. Just Google them - they are all free however AdWareMedic asks for a small donation if you think it is worthwhile and it is. Make sure AdBlockPlus and Ghostery appear in Safari Extensions and are on.

Next suggestion is download Onyx from Titanium Software. Make sure you download the correct version for your operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Beyond what was already stated, I wouldn't install ANYTHING unless you actually NEED it. If there is something you'd like to do, photo editing for example, that the existing programs can't accomplish effectively, THEN ask about specific recommendations. In the mean time, keep it as simple and uncluttered as possible. I'd spend as much time as possible just getting used to the new computer. You'll find it does most things you'll need to do quite effectively.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Now a new owner of MBPR 13.3 128ssd am sitting here disecting my way through apps, security software etc etc. I quickly installed spotify but now just thinking of what else.
Security-what antivirus? avast , panda , mc afee ( free normally £70 - must be a catch0 ie makes my computer slower than my old windows 7
top tips , will be geaty appreciated :)

Hi Dazmio - believe that I replied to your other post on this computer and mentioned that the 128 GB capacity is a 'bare' minimum, so take care as to what you install.

Also agree w/ the others, i.e. no AV, malware, or so-called 'cleaners' - if in doubt, ask here first! Onyx from HERE is the most suggested maintenance app to obtain - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
My pay tv programer just cut Fox News from what we are able to view.Is there anything recommended to download so I can watch streaming Fox news ?

You might want to get a Roku or Chromecast and stream it that way. One time price of 30 bucks. Apple TV is nice, but significantly more expensive. I'm going to be eliminating Fios VERY soon and just get internet. There is plenty of free streaming, and with Netflix and Amazon Prime, most everything else is covered.

k

PS Fred, this should be in it's own thread.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said, AdWare Medic is great as is Ghostery to protect you from unwanted addons and adware. Generally apps don't take up much space but you really don't need many other than the native apps installed already.
What really takes up storage space is media: movies, pictures and music.
The next thing you should buy is a USB external hard drive. Why? Because 128 Gb is very small, in fact I question that. I thought the smallest SSD in that model was 256 Gb.
Perhaps you should check that. Go to the Apple Menu > About this Mac and select the Storage Tab at the top of the window that appears. That will show you total storage and how much is in use. (and for what)
Even 256 Gb isn't much these days. I would suggest you purchase a 1 Tb ext HD and using Disk Utility (in Applications) format and partition it so that you can use one half for Media storage and the other half for Time Machine backups.
If you need instructions on how to do this we are more than willing to help.;D

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 2014 13.3, 128ssd, i5
Thanks all for info. Adware plus, ghostery done.
Yes, it is 128gb ssd and considerably cheaper than 256gb version.
I will buy external hd probably Toshiba canvio slim 1TB and yes will be looking for help with partitioning it. Should arrive after xmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.