• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

What to expect at WWDC

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which features/announcements, if any, are folks excited about? Personally I'm curious about:

1. The roadmap for ARM-based Macs I almost bought a gently used MacBook Air recently to replace my 2008 MacBook Pro. The Air went to my niece so before I buy anything as a replacement, I'd like to have some idea of the plan. '

2. It would not surprise me if they don't announce some concept that allows Intel-based software to run on ARM-equipped Macs. Without something like that the cost of replacing existing software makes ARM Macs a difficult pill to swallow. Probably won't be an issue for me though. I tend to keep my Macs longer than most folks do anyway.

3. I'd like to know the plan for new Apple TV boxes. Our ATV3 is showing its age. Although If LG ever releases ApplePlay 2 for its 2019 TVa I'd have little need for that gizmo.

4. It would not surprise me at all if this macOS release is essentially a cleanup operation. If we are on the verge of ARM-based Macs that's when I'd expect a major OS change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It would not surprise me if they don't announce some concept that allows Intel-based software to run on ARM-equipped Macs.

Rosetta 2 perhaps...???

Or would they just call it RosettARM??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rosetta 2 perhaps...???

Or would they just call it RosettARM??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======
I'm not sure what it will be called. They can call it grilled cheese sandwich pr broccoli and cheese for all I care. If you knew how much I hate those two foods you'd know how little I care what it's called.:)

No matter what it's called I think that feature has to be there for any roadmap to ARM-based Macs. Let's not forget that Apple has a history of including such features. In addition to Rosetta there was the Classic environment for several years in OS X. Granted that wasn't to address a chip change but without it OS X would not be addressed as quickly as it was done.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remember... it's not only Intel Mac software that would have to be emulated, but also what about Boot Camp? Apple sells a ton of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air machines to folks who want to keep running their Windows apps, mainly games and apps that are not available for the Mac.

Microsoft experimented with an ARM based surface machine but it seems like it went nowhere. The underground rumors are that Apple is working with Microsoft on the ARM changeover so we will just have to wait and see what pans out.

In the meantime, I'm going to advise folks to wait before they spend a whole bunch of dollars on a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In the meantime, I'm going to advise folks to wait before they spend a whole bunch of dollars on a new Mac.

On the other hand, it's probably going to be several years before they get all the ARM hardware and software sorted out and working properly wouldn't you think???

Many, unlike myself, need and rely on their Macs for their work and income, and I'm sure they don't want to be guinea pigs with new hardware and software much more than they already are.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the other hand, it's probably going to be several years before they get all the ARM hardware and software sorted out and working properly wouldn't you think???

Many, unlike myself, need and rely on their Macs for their work and income, and I'm sure they don't want to be guinea pigs with new hardware and software much more than they already are.

- Patrick
======

Even in that case Charlie's advice is still good for the following reasons:
1. Anyone contemplating purchasing new equipment can certainly wait the few days till the WWDC event. Rumor has its that Apple will have a relevant announcement then.
2. If they make an announcement and you can't wait for a new machine buy an Intel Mac, They are likely to be functional for some time.
3. If no announcement is forthcoming and you need a new Mac buy what suits your needs for the same reason as above. If you don't need new gear wait a bit and see.

In short, don't let what Apple might do force you to rush into a decision if it doesn't need to be made right now.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score

The switch from PowerPC to Intel went relatively quickly and without major issues as far as I remember.
Official announcement at WWDC in 2005
First Mac with Intel CPU released in January 2006
Last Mac was converted by year end 2006

So theoretically at least, if managed properly, Apple could pull that switch off in 2021 for all Mac models.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

When Apple switched to Intel from PPC, Tiger was the popular version of macOS and supported both platforms. Leopard was the same. However, when Snow Leopard was released, it only supported the Intel platform and then Lion did away with Rosetta.

Going by Apple's past timeline, it will probably be a matter of several years before everything will be ARM including the software.

Apple is expected to announce a new iMac at WWDC with a smaller bezel and will also include the T2 ARM security chip. Would you be willing to buy a new 2020 iMac for $2K+ knowing that it will be outmoded in several years? Not me.

Of course much of this talk is rumor. Don't you love it!:loveit

krs

Reaction score
Apple is expected to announce a new iMac at WWDC with a smaller bezel and will also include the T2 ARM security chip. Would you be willing to buy a new 2020 iMac for $2K+ knowing that it will be outmoded in several years? Not me.

A new iMac with a thinner bezel and T2 chip doesn't do anything for me, however getting rid of the Fusion drive and replacing that with an SSD does....at a reasonable price point of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.