What to do with video files that reside in Photos?

Reaction score
Recently I decided to ditch the use of a camcorder for taking video and am now using a Sony digital camera for all my still picture and video capture needs. However, when I plug my camera into my iMac and open Photo's to import the still pictures the video is also automatically imported. So now I have all these video files sitting in Photos. When I go to iMovie I can click on the Photo's Library and see the videos there, but they are not in my iMovie Library.

It would seem logical that video files should sit in iMovie and picture files in Photo's, is that correct or does it matter? Then assuming the video files should be moved from Photo's to iMovie, what's the best way to transfer them. Do I have to export them out of Photo's and import them into iMovie or is there an easier way?

Then, in the future when I attach my camera to my iMac how do I ensure Photo's only imports pictures and iMovie imports the videos? Seems like Photo's and iMove should work together seamlessly to do this, that way I don't have to go hunting for video files in Photo's.

Appreciate input ad suggestions on how others are managing this.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Recently I decided to ditch the use of a camcorder for taking video and am now using a Sony digital camera for all my still picture and video capture needs. However, when I plug my camera into my iMac and open Photo's to import the still pictures the video is also automatically imported. So now I have all these video files sitting in Photos. When I go to iMovie I can click on the Photo's Library and see the videos there, but they are not in my iMovie Library.

It would seem logical that video files should sit in iMovie and picture files in Photo's, is that correct or does it matter? Then assuming the video files should be moved from Photo's to iMovie, what's the best way to transfer them. Do I have to export them out of Photo's and import them into iMovie or is there an easier way?

Hello - I guess that the first question is how your 'import' settings are configured regarding when the camera (or its SD card - assume that is the storage used?) is attached to your computer - e.g. I have a Panasonic Lumix DC and prefer to remove the SD card and insert into my MBPro computer - the first pic below shows what dialog box opens - I always cancel out of this window but notice the blue arrow - so first check to see how your import options are set.

Second, I always use the manual method of uploading my images as indicated above - just allows me better control of where to put the pics and also select the ones to load onto the computer. In the second image, Photos is opened w/ the 'Import' option and the the Lumix's SD card selected (blue arrows) - again I could selectively do as described above.

In the third image, iMovie is opened and again I could select a video file (none on the card @ the moment) or multiple ones and import into the app (Lumix chosen, white arrow). Of course, if you have LOTS of images on your camera or many videos, this 'manual' method might be cumbersome, but is the choice I've made over the years. Let us know your results - likely will help others. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 12.39.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 12.42.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 12.40.42 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.