What to Buy Some Hardware Component

Reaction score
I am looking forward to buy some hardware component like pen drive, external hard disk. I really wanted to know that whether I should buy it online from any market places like Amazon or Flip kart or should buy it directly from physical shops.
Which would be cost effective for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am looking forward to buy some hardware component like pen drive, external hard disk. I really wanted to know that whether I should buy it online from any market places like Amazon or Flip kart or should buy it directly from physical shops.
Which would be cost effective for me?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) The last computer and/or device that I purchased in a 'brick & mortar' store was in early 2013, i.e. an iMac and Airport Extreme router (from Simply Mac at our local mall); I've used two online websites for most of my computer needs, including a lot of external HDs, i.e. Amazon and OWC (Other World Computing which concentrates on Apple related products) - so, by all means, online purchases are fine - just pick a place w/ a good return policy and that is within your budget - if still not sure, come back for more advice. Good luck - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Stores like BestBuy will beat competitor's prices on presentation of the advertised price.

I believe the present formula is 10% of the difference between their listed price and the advertised price, so it can amount to quite a saving.

I bought my LG TV this way, and ended up paying about half of what the retail price was at the time. Since I live in Alberta and the advertisement I was showing for the price match was in Ontario, I had to add in a realistic shipping cost, but this was offset by buying the store demo model which had only been on display for a couple of weeks.

OP
M
Reaction score
I do believe that buy things online is more efficient as compared to going to shops physically. But the thing I want to know that is which is a better option in terms of cost?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do believe that buy things online is more efficient as compared to going to shops physically. But the thing I want to know that is which is a better option in terms of cost?

You have many many more choices shopping on the internet.

Bottom line. Check out the inventory & cost of the items you want to purchase at physical shops near you...then shop online...and you will have your answer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12

One thing that is missing from Internet shopping is the knowledge and help you can get from sales staff at bricks and mortar stores. I read through a post on a home theatre forum a while back. The OP had more or less decided on a new receiver, and headed off to the store to pick it up. The salesman at the store advised him that the one he was looking at was old stock, and that the new model was the same price, with more and better features. He took the new model, but something was clearly nagging at him, so he went back to the forum and asked if he had just been duped into buying what he didn't want. The consensus was that he had found himself a good salesman and future-proofed himself for a lot longer than he would have done with his original choice.

Internet shopping is great, but you have to be comfortable with your own research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.