what the **** is wrong with icloud keychain (iOS and Yosemite)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (late-2013) 3.2GHz i5. Macbook Air 15" (Mid-2011). iPhone 6 16GB. iPad 4. iPad 2. iPad Mini
I am sick and tired of the notifications popping up on my iMac and iPhone. I have tried all methods to enable it, as wel as diasble it, but the notification still occur incessantly, and make me want to throw my devices across the room!

iPhone 6: When i select "approve with security code" i get a text on my phone, and i input that code on the screen, but later i still continue to get notifications. If I select " Approve wirth other device" then nothing happens on any other device.

Yosemite: When i select "approve with security code" nothing happens. When I select "approve with other device" nothing happens.

I can't even turn the **** thing off! my check box in system preferences > icloud keeps re-selecting when i uncheck it. ***!

This is the most annoying thing I have every dealt with in regard to Apple. in case you havent notice, I am beyond annoyed....

Can someone please bring me back to sanity...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What I would do, is sign out of iCloud on your Mac and iPhone6.

Restart both the Mac and iPhone, and sign back into iCloud again. See if that makes a difference.
And while your there, if you choose to "Approve with other Device", double, triple check you are on the same WiFi network for this too work the best.

HTH

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. Cant turn off iCloud Keychain. Cant even sign out of iCloud. Cant reset, says "Having trouble contacting iCloud" or something like that.
Restart didn't help. Turning off Facetime didn't help. Says "Waiting on other device" which no longer works hence the reset. Reset isn't working.
Any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
extremely frustrating bug in the latest update

There use to be a way to turn iCloud Keychain off - it has been removed.

It was located in Sys Pref - iCloud - Account Details - where you then unchecked “Allow approving using security code." That option is no longer there.

At this point, it looks to me that everyone not using iCloud to sync their Keychain is going to be experiencing this in OS X at least.
My phone does have the Keychain turned off, so I'm not getting this message there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found a solution, might not work for everyone.
Logged in on my wife's computer under my account. Logged into iCloud, started Keychain.
On the laptop, it stopped Keychain. Logged out on wife's computer. Hasn't restarted again on laptop. Says iCloud inactive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At this point, it looks to me that everyone not using iCloud to sync their Keychain is going to be experiencing this in OS X at least.
My phone does have the Keychain turned off, so I'm not getting this message there.

I don't think so. As long as you had the iCloud Keychain turned off before the 8.3 update you should be OK. I had mine turned off and am not experiencing any problems. My wife's phone the same.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No problems on my phone as it has never been enabled there.
My issue is solely in OS X where I did have it enabled as yet another backup for my Keychain since I have 8 years worth of stuff stored in there at this point.

Hadn't really done much about it until this thread because I was getting the popup only once per login and just dismissed it.

The Keychain in iCloud preferences is checked but non-functioning saying I need to approve it on another device.
Only I don't have another device that is using iCloud Keychain.
Uncheck it and it immediately puts the check back.
Signing out of iCloud fails.
Trying to Force Quit the iCloud processes is a failure.
I've gone through the Enter your security code and then entered the corresponding code it sent to my phone no less than 5 times. Each time saying it is "Setting up", and then the 'approve on another device' pops right back up.

I couldn't reboot yesterday because I was in the middle of copying a TB worth of data.
Finally, rebooted this morning and the Keychain was unchecked after all the above.
Was able to check it, put in the security codes and voila, it finally turned back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe it might be worth dropping some bug reports from everyone here to let Apple know of the issue and get it fixed. . .

Apple Bug Reporting
Sign in with your Apple ID and follow the prompts, giving as much information as you can, and in some cases, the fix for this issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.