what should I pay for a used early 2008 imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
superdrive, 1TB spinner HD... wireless keyboard and track pad. only 4GB ram not sure if that can be upgraded..

the seller is asking $300, that seems high to me? whats a fair price I should pay for this imac? what would you pay?

Everymac has the current retail at $150-250 range... so what should a private seller be asking? $125?? $150 at the most?

imac.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It depends on what you are going to be using it for.

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on it, as it is too old for modern use. It will still do what it was designed to do in 2008. Parts of it will begin failing sooner, rather than later.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ferrarr wont use it much to be honest, light web surfing and testing.... its my testing and machine for playing around... . I wont be logging into any site or putting any personal info on it. I'll be using it to boot linux from a usb stick too. maybe use the superdrive to burn audio CDs for my car.

... Im thinking offer $100 maybe? 125 at the most?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are going to using Linux on it, then don't waste any money on that machine, just build a basic PC and install Linux on it and be done with it. You could build a quick and dirty machine for about $300 that will serve you a lot better than a 12+ year old machine.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Raz0rEdge even my linux use would be minimal on that imac. not worth spending over $125 to do it in my view. I offered them $125, they have not replied yet. Probably think I'm low balling them. lol

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
"what should I pay for a used early 2008 imac?"

Probably nothing. Sorry to be so negative, but a 12 year old second hand (or more) iMac will likely be a burden rather than an asset.

Personal view, obviously.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
"what should I pay for a used early 2008 imac?"

Probably nothing. Sorry to be so negative, but a 12 year old second hand (or more) iMac will likely be a burden rather than an asset.

Personal view, obviously.

Ian
My opinion as well

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I offered $125. the seller never replied. so that is that. lol.

the prices people are asking for used macs seem high to me.... they will pay $1200 for the mac new and 12 years later they think it's worth $300??? SMH..

Last edited:
Reaction score
the prices people are asking for used macs seem high to me

Macintoshes, like Ferrari's, and Ducati's, and other products which are on the pricy side when new but which are nonetheless very popular, hold their price really well. With the exception of their internal hard drive (which can be replaced with a relatively inexpensive new one), they rarely simply fail, they instead just tend to get so old that a newer one becomes more desirable.

If you need to figure out the going price for a used Mac, here are a couple of Web sites that you might find helpful:

Will give you a base price but requires your Mac's serial number.

Of course, you could just go to your local Craig's List site and see what similar Macs are being sold for:

Use the far right column to go to your local Craig's List site.

krs

Reaction score
Macintoshes, like Ferrari's, and Ducati's, and other products which are on the pricy side when new but which are nonetheless very popular, hold their price really well. With the exception of their internal hard drive (which can be replaced with a relatively inexpensive new one), they rarely simply fail, they instead just tend to get so old that a newer one becomes more desirable.

If you need to figure out the going price for a used Mac, here are a couple of Web sites that you might find helpful:

Years ago I used to use Mac2Sell to get an idea of the value of an old Mac, but I found the prices they came up with were always quite a bit higher than actual selling prices.
In the end I found that if I used the US pricing but assumed it was in Canadian dollars, the Mac2Sell price wasmuch closer to reality.
Unless I made a mistake, this 2008 iMac that the OP is asking about shows as $US 410.-
Even at 60% (which is what I used at the time to get to a realistic value) this would still be $US250.- which I think is a more realistic price.

iMac 2008.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.