What packaging does apple refurbished products come in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What packaging does apple refurbished products come in? Is it the same as a new apple product? Or it is just a brown box? And on the inside is everything packed the same as new or differently? Because I've thought about visiting the Aussie refurbished store for a present for a friend. But I'd like to know how it will arrive to my friend if I do indeed choose to go down this route.

And a quick 2nd question. Can refurbished products come with the odd scratch or dint? Or are they impact free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
What packaging does apple refurbished products come in? Is it the same as a new apple product? Or it is just a brown box? And on the inside is everything packed the same as new or differently? Because I've thought about visiting the Aussie refurbished store for a present for a friend. But I'd like to know how it will arrive to my friend if I do indeed choose to go down this route.

And a quick 2nd question. Can refurbished products come with the odd scratch or dint? Or are they impact free?

The refurbished product comes in a brown box that says "Apple recertifed" or something along those lines. It basically is the same as a new product. Comes with all the software, remote, power cable. Just not in a pretty box like a new one :( It's obvious that it's a refurb, so beware if you don't want them to know it's a refurb.

It was like new one I got it. I gave it a good look over once I got it. No cracks, smudges, imperfections, nothing. No dead pixels, battery had maybe 2 cycles on it when I got it. It was literally like getting a brand new macbook. Leopard is freshly installed so you hafta go through the setup and registration like normal.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'm sure you can get someone to sell/give you a MacBook box though if you want it in the normal packaging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I wouldn't get too hung up on packaging. I bought two refurb'd Macs that came in the brown boxes and they work great! So much so that I'm about to buy an refurb'd 80gb iPod. I trust Apple's recertification process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
First off - just to go along with everyone else really - the MacBook I bought as a refurb came in a brown box - no big deal - the box lives in the same place as a pretty box would and thats the attic. :)

Second - My MacBook is awsome but it did arrive with a few surface scratches to outer casing - again not a big deal for me to be honest and I think my scratched MacBook might be in the minority.

Third - All of the kit inside the box looked superb - all packed in perfect little areas as you would expect from a new product.

Fourth - its a gift - if someone were to buy me an Apple product, I wouldn't care if it came in a plastic carrier bag with some used tissues... :) Ok, the tissues might be a bit too far ;)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks for all of the advice. I think I will take up the offer and look around the refurbished store for a used macbook as a present. Though I will have to admit some of those prices there are hard to resist myself. But I have a working imac now and no need for more macs.

Anyway thanks to you all again.

Reaction score
Macbook as a present to a friend?!?

Can I be your friend too? :D

I just bought a refurbished Macbook, like everyone else it came in the brown box with the Apple logo that says "Certified Reconditioned Product". But everthing inside is wrapped like new. And I could find no scratches, smudges, or even dirt. It even had that "New product smell"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook as a present to a friend?!?

Can I be your friend too? :D

I just bought a refurbished Macbook, like everyone else it came in the brown box with the Apple logo that says "Certified Reconditioned Product". But everthing inside is wrapped like new. And I could find no scratches, smudges, or even dirt. It even had that "New product smell"

seriously, can i be your friend too!? :D I think there's more to this "friend" than the OP is letting on ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
seriously, can i be your friend too!? :D I think there's more to this "friend" than the OP is letting on ;D

lol,

hmm im in orlando, how do you find these refurb places i always just bought new didnt know they existed.

whats the price difference like new macbook -> refurb macbook and like macbook pro -> refurb macbook pro

and with ipods n stuff.

hijacking your thread looking for help :p

Reaction score
Speaking of packaging, Apple shipped AppleCare separately from my refurbished iMac. The AppleCare box is the size of a old-style double CD, yet it came in a box about 24x12x4 inches, stuffed with paper. Talk about overkill. I thought that Apple is suppsed to be an environmentaly conscious company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol,

hmm im in orlando, how do you find these refurb places i always just bought new didnt know they existed.

whats the price difference like new macbook -> refurb macbook and like macbook pro -> refurb macbook pro

and with ipods n stuff.

hijacking your thread looking for help :p

I typically go to the apple website. Here is the link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/specialdeals/mac

I'm not sure if the brick and mortar apple stores sell refurbs or not. Also, it's first come first serve. So if you really were looking for the best deal, I'd check at every morning. I checked it for about 2 weeks straight and saw a deal I couldn't pass up.

It varies really. Some can be up to 18% off the original price. I believe mine was close to that. 2.4 GHz black macbooks start at $1,499. I got a 2.2GHz for $1050. Course the white ones are typically cheaper.

The website will tell you how much you get off from the original price on the website I linked you.

They also list Ipods/Iphones/etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have more of a chance of reusing a box that size than a smaller one cd pack sized.

if its reused that's no waste at all.

:D

hahah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I typically go to the apple website. Here is the link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/specialdeals/mac

I'm not sure if the brick and mortar apple stores sell refurbs or not. Also, it's first come first serve. So if you really were looking for the best deal, I'd check at every morning. I checked it for about 2 weeks straight and saw a deal I couldn't pass up.

It varies really. Some can be up to 18% off the original price. I believe mine was close to that. 2.4 GHz black macbooks start at $1,499. I got a 2.2GHz for $1050. Course the white ones are typically cheaper.

The website will tell you how much you get off from the original price on the website I linked you.

They also list Ipods/Iphones/etc.

awesome thanks alot,

oh and those deals too good to pass up are what im scared of....

and so is my credit card...haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome thanks alot,

oh and those deals too good to pass up are what im scared of....

and so is my credit card...haha

you aren't kidding. Now you got me looking at IPod touches :p

They have a refurb 8gb for $199.

So tempting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.