What MacBook

Reaction score
I am a pc guy and always have been. I have a great laptop that is my workhorse and I am not looking to change to mac, but at the office I am running into more younger employees and a few clients that use macs.
I was looking to get a MacBook so I can learn the os, test websites on a mac, and to test our sslvpn connection and other things so I can support them.
I am hoping I can get a referb or used mac at a good price for this purpose.
I am look for suggestions on a good model and os version for this purpose. This will never be my main pc and really only used so I can learn the Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was looking to get a MacBook so I can learn the os, test websites on a mac, and to test our sslvpn connection and other things so I can support them.

If you're going to be using this computer for professional purposes (like you mentioned test websites, test connections, support employees with Mac's). Then you need a computer that can run today's newest Mac OS version, and the newest OS versions that will be released in the future. Otherwise if you buy something used…you may end up buying another computer shortly if it happens not to be able to run future OS versions.

Something refurbished from Apple.com would probably be ok…or getting something new. I would not get something used…since you don't know how long it will meet the professional needs you mentioned. You won't need anything fancy or expensive to do what you mentioned. So I would say get an entry level 13" retina MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.