What laptop cooling mat is good with MacBook Air 2020

Reaction score
I recently ordered a new MacBook Air 2020, and lots of people have said there are heating issues with them. I have always used a cooling mat with my laptops, but it sounds like with this one it will be absolutely necessary.

Others have also suggested that the cooling system in the MacBook Air is different from other laptops, so not all cooling mats will work with it. I looked up reviews on my current cooling mat, and people have stated that it does not work with MacBook Air, and actually will cause that computer to get hotter.

Does anyone have a suggestion of cooling mats that will work with MacBook Airs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

A lot has been said about the cooling system in the new 2020 MacBook Air machines. Users who ordered the i3 model have stated that their machine runs cool and that there is no noticeable difference between its performance from that of the i5.

Having said that, I personally do not recommend using a cooling mat for any Apple designed notebook computer. What I have used in the past is a notebook stand. A stand not only provides cooling but also protects the machine against accidental spills. Not only that but is better ergonomically for your wrist and hands.

If you're really worried about overheating with the new 2020 MBA, then I strongly suggest you purchase the new 13" MacBook Pro instead. More money perhaps, but you get a better machine, more ports, and a much better screen.

Something to think about.

Thanks for posting to our forums.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for replying to me. I have the i5 and have had no fan or heat problems so far. Apparently the 40 minute update it did yesterday is supposed to fix that issue. Since I received mine yesterday, and the update was yesterday, I have no way of comparing the before and after.

Is there a particular reason that you do not recommend using a cooling mat for Apple computers?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All Macbooks cases are aluminum which is part of the heat dissipating strategy beyond just the fans, so run your CPU hard and it will get hot and the case will get hot, no way around here. These are not meant to kept on your lap, they are meant to kept on a desk. I use my 15" MBP at night in front of the TV and I do anything strenuous, the thing gets too hot to keep on my lap and requires me to hold it up until it cools back down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a particular reason that you do not recommend using a cooling mat for Apple computers?

Simply because anecdotally they do not work. :) And most make an annoying noise from the fans. You can read glaring reviews on the net about cooling mats but you can also find comments from users that state the opposite. Ultimately, it's up to you. Run your new MBA for awhile and put it thru whatever pace you desire before making a decision about buying a cooling mat.

Like I stated above, I used a stand for my notebook Mac and never had a cooling problem. I now own an iMac since I do all my work from home so my notebook stand is on the shelf.

Let us know how your machine is doing with the latest update. The latest update also includes an enhanced battery health option which reduces battery wear and heat build up.

Enjoy your new MBA. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Simply because anecdotally they do not work. :) And most make an annoying noise from the fans. You can read glaring reviews on the net about cooling mats but you can also find comments from users that state the opposite. Ultimately, it's up to you. Run your new MBA for awhile and put it thru whatever pace you desire before making a decision about buying a cooling mat.

Like I stated above, I used a stand for my notebook Mac and never had a cooling problem. I now own an iMac since I do all my work from home so my notebook stand is on the shelf.

Let us know how your machine is doing with the latest update. The latest update also includes an enhanced battery health option which reduces battery wear and heat build up.

Enjoy your new MBA. :)

Thanks. It seems to be running fine so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.