What is this product??

Reaction score
I ran across this and it has me baffled. I didn't think Apple made an office suite with spreadsheet and database. Here is the description:

"AppleWorks
Macintosh word processor, spreadsheet, database, and more."

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Still installed on new Macs for home use ~ getting old in the tooth like yours truly but still works well.
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPL...woa/wa/RSLID?find=Apple+Works&btn.x=9&btn.y=5

Steve 2005 = "With iWork we're building a successor to AppleWorks"

Thanks to both of you for the info and help. Kind of leaves me with more questions then I started out with though. For example: if AppleWorks was the starting effort (and apparently a very successful one from that article) why was it scrapped and iWorks started instead when it does not even have a spreadsheet or database function?? Also this one I am looking at supposedly installs the version you need depending upon the OS you have. The one for OSX is .9 - anyone out there using this? It sounds like what I need - spreadsheet and a database.

Reaction score
Appleworks has been discontinued AFAIK Papa ... The first mac I had came with ClarisWorks which was followed by AppleWorks but that has been replaced with iWork which you need to buy. It's like QuickTime. The older versions did so many things but now the basic is limited and all the really useful features are disabled until you cough up for QT Pro.

Have you tried NeoOffice?

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Appleworks has been discontinued AFAIK Papa ... The first mac I had came with ClarisWorks which was followed by AppleWorks but that has been replaced with iWork which you need to buy. It's like QuickTime. The older versions did so many things but now the basic is limited and all the really useful features are disabled until you cough up for QT Pro.

Have you tried NeoOffice?

Yes, have been using NeoOffice but got a trial version of iWork with Tiger and been trying it out. Trying to decide whether to go ahead and purchase it (even though it doesn't have spreadsheets or database) or wait until the new one comes out (this year?) or just stick with NeoOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Old GUI and similar in some ways to MS Works suite. Hasn't changed much if any over the years and Appleworks was available for windows too.

Many still swear by it and run small businesses with it. There are some very good user forums around. I was playing around with the spreadsheet part yesterday for fun.

iWork is totally different. iWork's Pages is great and Keynote is better than PowerPoint it's just not got a sep spreadsheet and data base yet although you can add tables, formulas and charts to Pages.

If you need a good spreadsheet but don't need Excel AppleWorks might well suit you.
NeoOffice is great too.
I have all three installed
Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Take if from an Engineering PhD student who uses spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation programs all the time: DO NOT use NeoOffice. I don't understand why people keep suggesting this program, besides the fact that it is free and can open documents from MS Office. It is everything that isn't Mac. It is clunky, slow, and not intuitive. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the folks at NeoOffice are trying to make a free version of Office for the Mac, but they failed miserably at this task. Instead, purchase iWork for $79. For word processing, use iWork's Pages. It is far more intuitive than Word and much prettier. Replace PowerPoint with iWork's Keynote. It is smoother and more versatile than PowerPoint. As for spreadsheets, I must admit that there aren't many great Apps out there for this function. Just read this article to get an idea of everything spreadsheet, when it comes to Mac. But I must repeat, DO NOT use NeoOffice. Then again, if you are really cheap (which you probably aren't because you bought a Mac) and you wanna eat up all your RAM when opening large spreadsheets, then try Neo out and feel its wrath... lol. I could go on and on about Neo's problems, but that is not for this thread.

In conclusion, don't be cheap. Just get iWork and one of the spreadsheet options suggested in the article linked above. Don't worry, Apple will come out with a great spreadsheet program very soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.