what is Sherlock for?

Reaction score
Could someone please help me with this? I can't figure out what the heck it's for...

Reaction score
I never use it but it's pre-installed on Macs .... you can search for a specific item on eBay, for flight details, AppleCare Knowledge Base Documents, the internet etc.

Sherlock was introduced in Mac OS 8.5 as a tool for searching the contents of your computer as well as the Internet. It allowed for flexible searching of file names, types, and even contents. In Mac OS X 10.2, its generic searching capabilities were reintegrated into the Finder, and Sherlock itself became a tool for querying specific types of data online. For example, you can keep track of stocks or find out what movies are playing at nearby cinemas. Other channels include phone book, translator, dictionary, and eBay tracker. For more information, consult Mac Help for information specific to the version of Sherlock installed on your system.

SHERLOCK TERMS OF USE​
PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW, AS THEY GOVERN YOUR USE OF SHERLOCK. BY USING SHERLOCK, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW.

1. Use Of Content:

Sherlock displays a variety of information including, but not limited to, text, audio, images, financial and investment data, flight data, photographs, news articles, video clips, and graphics (collectively "Content"). You may use Content displayed within Sherlock solely for personal, noncommercial purposes. Unless otherwise expressly agreed to by the party supplying the Content, commercial use of Content displayed within Sherlock is strictly prohibited. Certain Content displayed within Sherlock may be protected by copyright or other proprietary right. Before using such Content, you should obtain the written permission of the copyright owner.

2. Third-Party Content: ?The Content displayed within Sherlock comes from a variety of sources. Much of the Content comes from third parties that are not affiliated with Apple. Apple does not author, edit, or monitor Content provided by third parties. You acknowledge and agree that Apple, its officers, affiliates and subsidiaries shall not, directly or indirectly, be liable, in any way, to you or any other person for the Content you receive using Sherlock or for any inaccuracies, errors in or omissions from the Content. You acknowledge and agree that Apple shall have no responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, availability or appropriateness of Content provided by third parties. You also acknowledge and agree that your use of Content provided by a third party is subject to the terms of use of the third party providing that Content. Although not all-inclusive, below are links to the terms of use of some third party Content providers.
About.com, Ask Jeeves, Dictionary.com, eBay, Getty Images, LookSmart, Lycos, Moviefone, Overture, Switchboard, Systran

3. Links Within Sherlock: ?Sherlock contains links to third-party web sites. You acknowledge and agree that Apple has no responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, or availability of information located on linked web sites. Links to third-party web sites do not constitute an endorsement by Apple of such sites or the information, products, advertising or other materials presented on such sites. Apple is not responsible for their privacy practices. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the linked web sites you visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've never used it on OSX, but it was pretty cool when it first showed up in 8.5.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks. It seems like one of those apps that just dissapears after a while becasue of updates (improved Finder, Spotlight...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
It is pretty handy for the airline flights thing and probably other specialized searches - I just recently put it to good use for the aforementioned airline feature.
"Specialized Google in a box" perhaps? :)

Reaction score
I didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it. Thanks! Used it twice already - nice app. I had been using shopzilla.com but think I will try this instead.

Reaction score
I like to search eBay on it, works pretty well I think....good enough to put on my dock.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there any way to change the channels? ie for eBay to change to eBa UK? I'm warming to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.